OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you filter or screen any of it before pouring it back in the new bag?
I do not, should I? I haven’t seen anyone say anything about filtering between cultures love to see some input on that.

I did buy the copepod sieve to filter out the pods when it’s time for harvesting

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This culture at day 5 is already darker then my first culture was at day 8, wondering if I should turn the brightness down now?
image.jpg

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t read every reply but thanks to a tip from r2r I picked up a magnetic stirrer for my phyto. Works great. Cleaning with rubbing alcohol between batches has been a must for me as well including cleaning the hard tube.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along I have a 10 gallon tank I use for my phyto have been like this for a year. I throw a coffee cup of this thick green stuff in a couple times a week. Why do you need it sterile? I also fertilize

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along I have a 10 gallon tank I use for my phyto have been like this for a year. I throw a coffee cup of this thick green stuff in a couple times a week. Why do you need it sterile? I also fertilize
I just keep it sterile so less chance of contamination and crashing the culture.

luckily I’m yet to have a culture crash on me. Well other then the very first.....But that’s cause I tried using live phytofeast...Mistake lol

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just keep it sterile so less chance of contamination and crashing the culture.

luckily I’m yet to have a culture crash on me. Well other then the very first.....But that’s cause I tried using live phytofeast...Mistake lol
Interesting I put some water from a water change in a 10 gallon tank and put a grow light on it added Ocean Magic, and some Marves fertilizer and 2 air stones. And it took off. I have a Maxima clam that was maybe at best 2 inches when I got him he is over 4 now

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting I put some water from a water change in a 10 gallon tank and put a grow light on it added Ocean Magic, and some Marves fertilizer and 2 air stones. And it took off. I have a Maxima clam that was maybe at best 2 inches when I got him he is over 4 now
Water change water from your tank or new water change water???

I originally started culturing phyto to feed rotifers and to make green water for breeding for my LFS but I stopped using the phyto I make once I found out about Reed Maricultures rotigreen omega and RG complete

now all I use is what I dose to the tank which is pretty minimal compared to how much I make
so I always just give it to my LFS cause I know they will put it to good use.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back