First timer on reef tank

maria35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. It's been a while since I read this forum but just now joining

Recently, I wanted to start a reef tank (more like impulsively) and as I've been handling freshwater tanks for a while I thought it's kinda the same.

So I got a new tank (nano) and at the same day I bought home 2 clowns, 1 carpet anemone & 1 red starfish

This...is where the problem begins

On the 2nd day I noticed that the starfish started to dissolving itself (?). I thought maybe it was a mishandled during our trip back home but I guess not because for the next few days things started to get worst.
The anemone moved around a lot and then suddenly I found it die in the morning and making the water muddy.

In the evening, the clowns started to act weird and just laying down at the bottom with heavy breath.

I already used a filter for the tank but I just ordered my protein skimmer so it's just arrived today and I guess it's too late.

And now only 1 clown try to survive but it's still laying down and breath heavy. Idk if this is the right forum but since I'm very new I thought it should be appropriate

Also yes I'm aware of my impulsive mistake not to recycled the water properly first. That's why I wanna ask everyone here like what kind of checklist I should have to starter the reef tank and not messing up again. Also maybe appropriate tank size but small enough to fit in my working desk?

Currently I have appropriate filter for my tank, protein skimmer, live rock, copepod and already bought frozen shrimps for the anemone (which is die now)

Thank you in advance guys

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! #WelcometoR2R
Sounds like the tank wasn't cycled at all and now are experiencing ammonia spikes which is toxic to fish.
I would strongly suggest reading these threads, all the info you'll need.

scubatan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please take that clown out and bring them back to the store to hold until your have a proper environment for them… honestly shame on the store as well if they sold you the tank and fish the same day

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish might end up being OK but there is no chance for the anemone or the starfish. Anemone should have a tank 9 months old or so before trying and very strong lighting for carpets.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on joining the hobby. You found out the hard way that everything should be carefully researched in advance, or else the livestock will suffer and possibly die.

Please read the articles provided above. You have to prepare the environment before adding livestock.

OP
OP
M

maria35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the quick replies. Just another question, I would like to start small with this reef tank so is 3.3L good enough for 2 small clown fish (which ofc will upgrade the tank as time goes by)? I saw other threads but it seems like mostly they don't put fish in such small tank

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the quick replies. Just another question, I would like to start small with this reef tank so is 3.3L good enough for 2 small clown fish (which ofc will upgrade the tank as time goes by)? I saw other threads but it seems like mostly they don't put fish in such small tank
Way to small, just corals and inverts

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns need at least a 20 gallon tank.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean 3 litres? You can't put anything into a 3 litre tank - Nothing. Even 3 gallons is too small for any fish. As mentioned, 2 clowns should be in a 20 gallon tank.

OP
OP
M

maria35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the insight guys.
I just upgraded my tank into 15L using my previous freshwater tank. And currently going to start the cycling. I read here and there that you can add copepod during the cycling, can I add them right away or waiting until algae build in the tank? Also any idea to keep the rest of copepod for as long as possible?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15L is too small for any fish. Any fish that goes in this tank will likely not survive for very long.

Should have at least 10 gallon tank (38 litres) for one or two small fish.

Again, if you want 2 clownfish, it should be 20 gallons minimum (75 litres).

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back