OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds more like velvet possible. Ick and flukes typically take more time to kill a fish/show major symptoms. What are you using to test your water?
Velvet....does that look like a hazy tint of grey on the scales of a royal gramma? I got it from petco like that I just thought it was a bad gene pool

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a lot of fish in the tank? Does your sump create enough water turbulence to aerate the water.. do you have a refug? if so during the day a refug when the lights are on the use carbon and release oxygen. AT night or when the lights are off refug use oxygen and release co2.
Also a low ph or sudden shift in ph can cause stress or possible kill fish and corals.
Also a low ph value is an indicator of possible low oxygen and a high carbon dioxide level.
I am just offering ideas to help but it still could be a parasite etc...

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Velvet....does that look like a hazy tint of grey on the scales of a royal gramma? I got it from petco like that I just thought it was a bad gene pool
It could be velvet then if it looks like a white ish colored film on them and it kills so quickly. Refer to the link/photos.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a lot of fish in the tank? Does your sump create enough water turbulence to aerate the water.. do you have a refug? if so during the day a refug when the lights are on the use carbon and release oxygen. AT night or when the lights are off refug use oxygen and release co2.
Also a low ph or sudden shift in ph can cause stress or possible kill fish and corals.
Also a low ph value is an indicator of possible low oxygen and a high carbon dioxide level.
I am just offering ideas to help but it still could be a parasite etc...
It could be that too. Which would mean you need to increase oxygenation by moving a powerhead or increasing the flow.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
do you have airstone ?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
now put that in front of wavemaker/powerhead /return . best advice i can give rt now

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So the air stone is creating a thick bubble patch on top is that going to be okay? I put it in front of the wavemaker like you said.
Yes that’s normal it’s air bubbles or any residual additives causing it to foam a little.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
are you seeing micro bubbles throughout tank also ?

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that’s normal it’s air bubbles or any residual additives causing it to foam a little.
I put the air stone in and now all the fish seem to be coming out. Maybe that's a good sign? But the royal gramma is still breathing heavy on its side. I also might be feeding them wrong. How should I feed them with flake and frozen? I've been putting half a block of Hikari and a little bit of flake each feed. Is that too much?

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a refuge or a sump. I have a canister filter though. I have a powerhead and a strong filter outlet. But I also added the air stone. I also have a uv pump creating movement as well.
all good stuff but unless there is some agitation allowing the introduction of O2 into the water it is just water moving around, this is good but lacks adding O2 in the water. In most sumps, the first chamber, where water from the tank enters the sump causes agitation, causes air bubbles which help introduce O2 into the water...
If you're going to use a powerhead to add air to the water, you will have to deal with salt creep. I hope this helps...

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I put the air stone in and now all the fish seem to be coming out. Maybe that's a good sign? But the royal gramma is still breathing heavy on its side. I also might be feeding them wrong. How should I feed them with flake and frozen? I've been putting half a block of Hikari and a little bit of flake each feed. Is that too much?
Yea that’s too much they need the smallest amount of food and the rest just turns into excess nutrients. Teen tiny amounts and if they come back add a little more. Less food is always better. Dry foods also tend to spike nutrients easier.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
let's worry about keeping them alive for the moment
what size tank is this ?
do you have water avail for water change ?

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all good stuff but unless there is some agitation allowing the introduction of O2 into the water it is just water moving around, this is good but lacks adding O2 in the water. In most sumps, the first chamber, where water from the tank enters the sump causes agitation, causes air bubbles which help introduce O2 into the water...
If you're going to use a powerhead to add air to the water, you will have to deal with salt creep. I hope this helps...
What exactly is salt creep?

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that’s too much they need the smallest amount of food and the rest just turns into excess nutrients. Teen tiny amounts and if they come back add a little more. Less food is always better. Dry foods also tend to spike nutrients easier.
Alright noted

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes what ever they can eat in a few minutes is best. And do it in a few little feedings during that time.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 166 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back