Fish do not like PE Calanus

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two dragonettes hate it and my piggy fanged blenny too.
Everyone else likes it.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone's fish not like PE Calanus? My fish hate the stuff. I only use it to feed corals now.

Same, they eat some but they don’t go crazy for it like brine/mysis. I’ve stopped using it, there’s a lot of oil in it as well.

OP
OP
K. Steven

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same, they eat some but they don’t go crazy for it like brine/mysis. I’ve stopped using it, there’s a lot of oil in it as well.
Yes, the oil slick on the water and it collapsing the foam head of the skimmer for a few hours is another reason I'm not a fan.

BryGun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that ate it for me was a yellow finger leather gorgonian. Sexy shrimp keep those(YFL) clean by the way.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got some at the back of my frozen food compartment; it rarely sees the light of day; too many other foods that the fish (and corals) like more.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there’s a lot of oil in it as well.

That's arguably the most important part of food.....and may be the biggest reason for using calanus vs things like mysus or brine shrimp which lack correct oil content without corrective additives. (Correct pigments in calanus are good for immunity too though.)

Yes, the oil slick on the water and it collapsing the foam head of the skimmer for a few hours is another reason I'm not a fan.

That's all just a normal part of feeding – I definitely would not let that dictate my feeding choices.

If your foods lack oil (or even just lack the correct kind) your animal's health will suffer.

Instead of worring, look at this phenomena as positive confirmation that there are oils in your food! Healthy oils in this case! :)

Also it's good to remember that a skimmer's main function – aeration – is not impacted by this.

Only it's limited ability to remove skimmate to the cup is impacted, and even that's only temporary.

So, no worries! :)

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oil in the food is good. Fish need fatty acids in their diet. Oil as a slick on the water surface, though - That won't benefit the fish, it's just contamination. However, when you prepare the food, it's easy to decant that off, if present, before feeding.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a big enough slick or otherwise lasts long enough to seem worth worrying about, I'd consider whether you might be overfeeding (maybe too much at once even if it's not too much overall) or have flow issues that are contributing to its presence. Both are common. It's not normal for a slick to stay around.

Rinsing foods isn't that great an option either, IMO. For one thing, it's one more step that you have to repeat with every feeding but which adds almost nothing beneficial. "Lack of slick" hardly counts. ;)

Since your tank is going to be around for years I'd recommend avoiding as many "half useful" maintenance tasks as possible to keep things simple and easy. Plus if the food you're using has any additives to correct nutrients or fat ratios, you might be losing that as well. Unless you have a sterile fish-only tank, then these residues aren't going to go to waste anyway, they are going to the live rock and sand microbes (and maybe corals, if you have them), which can all potentially "communicate" the nutrients up the food chain!

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of my saltwater fish like it. My freshwater shrimp love it though as do my bettas.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 74 41.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 90 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back