Fish id - Juvenile black & white spotted fish - can anyone id it?

dankaqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw a super cute fish out of the corner of my eye (er, mask) and was able to snap a couple pics .... very poor pics to be sure, but this guy wasn't hanging around for more modeling.

PC160005.jpg

PC160004.jpg

I thought it was a from the "sweetlips" family (Haemulidae) but I haven't been able to find a photo which is a clear match.

I was back in the water yesterday and saw what _might_ be the parent... but it was deep and elusive.... so my pic is pretty horrible:

PC170037.jpg

This fish was about 10" long and the spots looked similar to the juvenile.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first and second pic is a grouper, but I don’t remember the specific name off hand. I think it might be a panther grouper. I don’t know what the larger on is.

Rednamalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the first two pictures are not panther groupers, I can say that, but I don't have any idea of what it might be.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 that the first two pictures are likely of juvenile Bodianus axillaris (see 2nd and 3rd pictures for juvenile coloration).
The last picture definitely looks like a sweetlips, though I did not find a match for both lines and spots like the picture. (maybe yellow-lined sweetlips, but they do not seem to have the same spots?)

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The third picture may be a juvenile Macolor niger, (AKA, Black Beauty). Were these pictures taken in the western Pacific or Indian Ocean?

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 74 52.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back