fish in overflow

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any tricks for getting fish out of the overflow? I noticed my mystery wrasse was in the overflow of my 90gal today. I noticed he was missing a few days ago and thought he jumped out of the tank and was eaten by one of my dogs.
I tried getting my arm in there but my forearm doesn't fit.

pakora

Papa-Kora!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any tricks for getting fish out of the overflow? I noticed my mystery wrasse was in the overflow of my 90gal today. I noticed he was missing a few days ago and thought he jumped out of the tank and was eaten by one of my dogs.
I tried getting my arm in there but my forearm doesn't fit.

How about this? :tongue:
:crossedlips:
10_fishing_rod.jpg

j/k: Is it the corner type of overflow? What about dropping in those baskets that strawberries come in. you should be able to scoop it out. I guess tie some fishing string on it like a really long basket and then pull it out like water from a well.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I can think of Jesse is a small net with a long handle.....My Red Head Pseudochromis did that but he went all the way to the sump....

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I catch baby cardinals in the overflow. I use a big enough hose and suck them out. How big is the wrasse?

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had to catch my potters angel and a red wrasse out of the overflow of my 75. my canopy only allows frontal access. basically i scratched the h e double hockey sticks outa my forearm on the teeth on top of the overflow. used a little net and just kept going at it till I got em both. ur lucky ur mystery wrasse ended up in there. my ended up on the floor one day. the ONE day i left the netting off the back of the tank and he lands on the floor.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to pull the meleagris out of the overflow, once. I had to pull all ofthe plumbing (which opens a hole to the sump, so put a net under it in case the fish goes down the drain). I was able to scoop it out once the water drained out of the overflow. That thing was too freakin fast to catch without letting water out first.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first turn off pumps, then pull off your drain pipe to the sump and place a filter sock or net under it, then pull out the drain in your overflow and he should get sucked right down into your net or filter sock free of harm

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had to pull the meleagris out of the overflow, once. I had to pull all ofthe plumbing (which opens a hole to the sump, so put a net under it in case the fish goes down the drain). I was able to scoop it out once the water drained out of the overflow. That thing was too freakin fast to catch without letting water out first.

This is also how I have done it. Just remove the overflow plumbing, not the return and the water will drain out.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience but just a thought. What if you were to take a pump and direct a hose into the overflow with the main body of the pump pulling from the tank? This may help to flush the fish higher towards the top of the overflow, or even out.

Back