Fish only with weed corals display

Nifkin747

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added my first fish to a 75 gallon "Fowlr" setup. I plan on lighting the system with a 4 bulb t5 fixture with 2 whites, 1 blue, and 1 purple bulb. I do not want the blue reef tank for this setup as the fish will be the stars of the show. That being said, I want to have more than just live rock and less than a coral focused display tank. I would like some color, texture, and movement. I am looking for the corals in the same lane as pulsing xenia and GSP that most people do not want in their tank (aiptasia, majano, etc are out lol) . My thought is that I let the weed corals grow out a bit before I add potentially non reef safe fish that may see them as dinner. Any suggestions on color variations of the xenia and gsp or other corals that would fit this idea?

OP
OP
Nifkin747

Nifkin747

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason going t5 over LED?

Interesting idea though :)
Honestly because i can get a 4 bulb hybrid fixture that I could add LEDs to down the road if I change my mind for about the same price as an AI prime. I don't really want a high cost coral light for a mainly fish display. I am also of the mindset that using T5s as fill light along with LEDs is a far superior option to LEDs only.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly because i can get a 4 bulb hybrid fixture that I could add LEDs to down the road if I change my mind for about the same price as an AI prime. I don't really want a high cost coral light for a mainly fish display. I am also of the mindset that using T5s as fill light along with LEDs is a far superior option to LEDs only.

Gotcha, was thinking if you were just going FOWLR, you could get a cheap LED and that didn't use much power and wouldn't require bulb changes :)

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For corals/inverts bubble tip anemones grow pretty quickly if they are fed as well as faster growing zoa types and mushroom corals. I dont know of anything that grows faster than GSP and xenia, but they just become extremely annoying as they almost grow too fast and start getting onto walls, overflows or on pumps too fast

OP
OP
Nifkin747

Nifkin747

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try macroalgae instead of coral... Although the fish might nibble on that too.
I have thought about some macro algae too. Thats a good idea. I am running a fuge so i could grow it as per normal and take some of the harvest and throw it in the display. I'd probably rinse it pretty good first though.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about some macro algae too. Thats a good idea. I am running a fuge so i could grow it as per normal and take some of the harvest and throw it in the display. I'd probably rinse it pretty good first though.
Why rinse? It's all the same water, lol.

OP
OP
Nifkin747

Nifkin747

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pandora Palythoa, Green Explosion Palythoa, Blue Clove Polyp, Pulsing Xenia, GSP

I have never had any clove polyps. Are they pretty easy? I will probably stay away from Palys for the same reason most people do. I'm not ever sure about zoas, I have had them get pretty tasty to "reef safe" fish and the price for a single is sometimes a bit crazy.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on color variations of the xenia and gsp or other corals that would fit this idea?
Red Discosoma mushrooms
Leathers, especially toadstools. There are 2 easily found varieties of toadstools, green and brown/silver.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back