Fish (or invert) for Getting Rid of Limpets

Mrs. Fox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having an issue with limpet snails appearing overnight in my tank, and I was wondering if theres a certain fish or invert that would like to have these guys as a meal. I was considering a puffer but I can't seem to find any info on whether they eat limpets or not, and I also have SPS corals, which could be an issue. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks [emoji4]

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limpets are generally pretty decent to have around, as they're snacking on algae. They've got a pretty tough shell, not sure if anything eats them ... #reefsquad, anybody out there know of critters that munch on limpets?

~Bruce

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limpets are generally pretty decent to have around, as they're snacking on algae. They've got a pretty tough shell, not sure if anything eats them ... #reefsquad, anybody out there know of critters that munch on limpets?

~Bruce
Are you sure they are Keyhole Limpets? Those are the bad ones that eat coral. If not, keep them. I had a number of them in a tank and didn’t cause any problems. Also, how big are they? Are you sure they aren’t Chitons?

OP
OP
Mrs. Fox

Mrs. Fox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure they are Keyhole Limpets? Those are the bad ones that eat coral. If not, keep them. I had a number of them in a tank and didn’t cause any problems. Also, how big are they? Are you sure they aren’t Chitons?
The largest ones are about a centimeter max, with most being smaller than that. I'll attach a photo in a minute :) the keyhole limpets are the only type that eat corals?

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From liveaquaria.com: As with many of the snail species, it is best to physically remove the limpet if you are unsure of its species and diet. Some limpet species are herbivores and are beneficial to even a reef aquarium. But even the herbivores can become harmful if there is not enough food for them in the aquarium. Limpets will typically not reproduce to any significant number in the aquarium, and physical removal is usually a sufficient control for the SPS coral aquarist.

OP
OP
Mrs. Fox

Mrs. Fox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From liveaquaria.com: As with many of the snail species, it is best to physically remove the limpet if you are unsure of its species and diet. Some limpet species are herbivores and are beneficial to even a reef aquarium. But even the herbivores can become harmful if there is not enough food for them in the aquarium. Limpets will typically not reproduce to any significant number in the aquarium, and physical removal is usually a sufficient control for the SPS coral aquarist.
I think there are too many to remove them manually. I've always seen a couple around the tank and never thought much of them until I started to notice there were a lot when my timer broke and I had to manually turn on the light in the morning (I think they move into the rocks throughout the day when I turn on the light which is why I haven't noticed how many there are). There are atleast 30 that I've seen on the glass in my 90gal tank, likely many more on/in the rocks. I might be able to pull some of them out in the early morning but my tank is a corner bowfront so I can't reach the bottom at the back to get those guys. I could give it a shot though!

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are too many to remove them manually. I've always seen a couple around the tank and never thought much of them until I started to notice there were a lot when my timer broke and I had to manually turn on the light in the morning (I think they move into the rocks throughout the day when I turn on the light which is why I haven't noticed how many there are). There are atleast 30 that I've seen on the glass in my 90gal tank, likely many more on/in the rocks. I might be able to pull some of them out in the early morning but my tank is a corner bowfront so I can't reach the bottom at the back to get those guys. I could give it a shot though!
Being that size and that many, are you sure they aren’t chitons? Do they have the hole in the top of the shell?

OP
OP
Mrs. Fox

Mrs. Fox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being that size and that many, are you sure they aren’t chitons? Do they have the hole in the top of the shell?
12e0dada0b0695b4974c56ffef66e063.jpg

This is a photo of one. I think it has a hole in the top but its pretty small so hard to tell

OP
OP
Mrs. Fox

Mrs. Fox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any ideas as to how I should I go about removing them? I counted 50 when I turned on my lights today, and they seem to be multiplying quickly.. I want to get rid of them just to be sure they don't destroy anything or take over. Thank you for your help :)

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never tried it, but I assume a needle through the hole in the back of them will take care of them and let your crabs do the rest. Removing them when they are adults is very difficult. They attach very well.

OP
OP
Mrs. Fox

Mrs. Fox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never tried it, but I assume a needle through the hole in the back of them will take care of them and let your crabs do the rest. Removing them when they are adults is very difficult. They attach very well.
I'll try that, thanks!

Lizamichelle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I just smash them in the tank? Way too many. They are in the sump and clogging my Klir roller filter

jjmccloud2011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16857209513441926552760166934252.jpg
(Pls excuse bad pick )The population can explode in a matter of a few weeks lol this a few months after noticing a couple, the rock work is even worse. I was using my scraper and just using it like a squeegee to get them off the glass but got lazy for a few weeks and numbers came right back. So while useful they can get ugly too lol im finding lots of them in the rear chambers of this evo 13.5 too and hoping they don't get into my return pump and break the impeller, I don't even run the nero3 anymore just incase cause I don't wanna damage it lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back