Fish Stocking suggestions for 125 Gallon?

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125-gallon tank (72x18x23) and a roughly 60-gallon sump. This is my current stocking:

2 diamond goby
1 yasha goby
1 YWG
1 firefish
1 candy cane pistol
1 tiger pistol

2 ocelaris clowns
2 pink skunk

1 yellow tang
1 blue hippo tang (size of a quarter)

1 long-nose hawkfish
1 pygmy geometric hawk (I'm pretty sure these are closer to Anthias)
1 chalk basslet

I've had this tank for a while, 9 months-ish, and have 0 aggression issues.

I also have 10 maxima clams and 2 deresa clams.
My nutrient levels are not anything to worry about but the tank looks so empty lol I can't think of any interesting fish that don't just decimate my clams like the raccoon butterfly I wanted to get, so any suggestions?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please post some pics of the tank? Nutrient levels have little to do with what fish we can keep.

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please post some pics of the tank? Nutrient levels have little to do with what fish we can keep.
Gotcha, here you go. Also, I only use 3 reefbrite lights (all actinic blue) and one singular stronger light in the middle for my clams, so I could not get a photo with white light, sorry.
1715093808578.png
1715093835294.png
1715093853538.png
1715093875774.png

Attachments

• 1715093877906.png
    1715093877906.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without adding more rock I would say you're over stocked as is.

Each fish needs its own little cave or hiding spot to call their own home. Once those areas are taken, you're at max.

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without adding more rock I would say you're over stocked as is.

Each fish needs its own little cave or hiding spot to call their own home. Once those areas are taken, you're at max.
I see, I'll probably end up adding more rocks then. Thanks for letting me know!

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good reference is to look at a tank like @Paul B has. He has created a scape designed to keep his fish happy. In turn, he has a ton of healthy, old fish.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always will have some Halichoeres wrasse, like chrysus, melanurus, biocellatus.

Bangaii cardinals are always visible, although they hover more than swim. They don't seem to be noticed by other fishes, in my experience, unless it's another bangaii.

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are far from over stocked. Add some wrasse! Maybe a few male flasher wrasse. Leopard wrasse would be a goood choice too. Sometimes you can mix species and sometimes you can’t it just depends on the individuals. Also a blotched Anthias could be a good albeit expensive addition

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are far from over stocked. Add some wrasse! Maybe a few male flasher wrasse. Leopard wrasse would be a goood choice too. Sometimes you can mix species and sometimes you can’t it just depends on the individuals. Also a blotched Anthias could be a good albeit expensive addition
Sorry but you have a lot of posts asking about fish dying and stocking issues of your own. Might not be best to recommend others go down the same path.

The environment we choose to have our pets in should be to their benefit, not our own wants and vanity.

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but you have a lot of posts asking about fish dying and stocking issues of your own. Might not be best to recommend others go down the same path.

The environment we choose to have our pets in should be to their benefit, not our own wants and vanity.
I bought fish from Petco online and got sent more fish then I ordered and had to add them un quarantined because they arrived unannounced. So yeah I had issues and random deaths of the fish that arrived and aggression issues because again too many fish were delivered. My other post about random fish deaths occurred when I was really understocked and again those fish came from Petco online. Wrasse and Anthias are difficult fish to establish so yeah, you will have unfortunate deaths.

The only fish questionable in ops post is a hippo tang. Besides that they have ample room for more fish and I suggested fish I personally enjoy. Very strange of you to peer through my personal struggles to demonstrate your superior opinion

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought fish from Petco online and got sent more fish then I ordered and had to add them un quarantined because they arrived unannounced. So yeah I had issues and random deaths of the fish that arrived and aggression issues because again too many fish were delivered. My other post about random fish deaths occurred when I was really understocked and again those fish came from Petco online. Wrasse and Anthias are difficult fish to establish so yeah, you will have unfortunate deaths.

The only fish questionable in ops post is a hippo tang. Besides that they have ample room for more fish and I suggested fish I personally enjoy. Very strange of you to peer through my personal struggles to demonstrate your superior opinion
The concern I had for his tank had nothing to do with size, just places for the fish to call home.

As for gaining context it always pays to know something about people before challenging a position. Maybe I was in the wrong, maybe not. I feel we should always try to have as much understanding as possible before engaging in debate.

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, my uncle conveniently has a bunch of rock to give me, so I'm going to try and make my aquascape very fish-friendly. Assuming I build many caves and spaces for fish to live in, what interesting fish would do good in my tank?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back