Fish / Tank Size -- What Gives Here?

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So personally I am one that pays strict attention to the size of the tank and the fish that I put in it. Contextually speaking ... I would not like to live my remaining days out confined to a space the size of my bedroom.

I am not going to put a tang in a tank that it does not have ample size to swim, and this applies to other fish as well.

But I just was watching some video from that Ryan dude at BRS on a tour of BRS and he has a few cube tanks, MAYBE 24 inches wide, with purple tangs in them, anthias, etc. Can't even imagine putting a purple tang in my 24 wide tank. No way ... call me overly sensitive that's fine. (My estrogen levels have been spiking a bit lately)

So what gives ... do some people just not care and put the fish in there anyways, or will the fish be ok and get used to it.

I have asked many a fish many a times when I see them in person, but have yet to get a solid answer from a single one. Maybe you have gotten a reply that answers this?

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I believe some are not educated enough to fully understand how quickly some of these fish grow and also their need for room to swim. Very active swimmers need larger, longer tanks to thrive. Also, in many cases people will keep a fish in a smaller tank, knowing the fish will outgrow the tank but have plans to upgrade or re-home the fish. Sometimes it works out just fine but just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. Hope that helps a little lol. Good luck :)

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have watch ALL of their videos...Ryan gives a very plausable and reasonable explaination as to why.

Most of those tanks you see are office tanks. Most of those tanks have very small tangs in them. They have several larger tanks in their office which they can put said tangs in when they out grow their current tanks as well as several large tanks they have at their home that can house the tangs as they get larger. In fact Ryan just recently set up his 360 gallon dream tank in his home. They actually encourage their employees to have a tank at the office. It allows them to try different equipment to reveiw later on in a video as well as techniques and how well they worked or didnt work so you dont have to reinvent the wheel when you set your tank up!

Additionally they push using Utilitarian fish as some of the first fish that should be added to a tank to control algae. I agree with that line of thinking in a major kind of way myself. I like nice colorful fish too like everyone else does, but I also appreciate those that actually earn their keep by controlling pest and algae too! Utilitarian fish are some of the first ones to go in my systems.

So as you can see there is some method to what seems like their madness.

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have watch ALL of their videos...Ryan gives a very plausable and reasonable explaination as to why.

Most of those tanks you see are office tanks. Most of those tanks have very small tangs in them. They have several larger tanks in their office which they can put said tangs in when they out grow their current tanks as well as several large tanks they have at their home that can house the tangs as they get larger. In fact Ryan just recently set up his 360 gallon dream tank in his home. They actually encourage their employees to have a tank at the office. It allows them to try different equipment to reveiw later on in a video as well as techniques and how well they worked or didnt work so you dont have to reinvent the wheel when you set your tank up!

Additionally they push using Utilitarian fish as some of the first fish that should be added to a tank to control algae. I agree with that line of thinking in a major kind of way myself. I like nice colorful fish too like everyone else does, but I also appreciate those that actually earn their keep by controlling pest and algae too! Utilitarian fish are some of the first ones to go in my systems.

So as you can see there is some method to what seems like their madness.
Yah this is good to hear. That was my thought that they had some sort of end game to this ... but the fish seemed a bit larger for that size tank. That is why I was wondering

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 102 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back