Fish you have/had kept but wouldnt keep again

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just wondering if anyone has any they'd like to share, as i have a trio of lyretails and while they aren't hell raisers they are just quite annoying as such in that they think they are the boss and would prefer a different species if i had to chose, but wouldnt give them up as i dont have a good enough reason to and have grown quite attached to them especially the male lol

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than clown fish, I'll never, ever put another damsel in my tank. Pretty fish, but they are the devil fish of a tank. I had a blue velvet damselfish that killed three of my fish. He was put into a witness protection program, where a tank crash caused his demise.

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tangs, tomato, clarkii & maroon clowns. Also, damsels in the genus dascyllus. There are a lot more, just too many to list

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see here is my list:

Flame Angel-Aggressive Butthead and Coral Nipper
Yellow Tang-Aggressive Butthead
Snowflake Ocellaris Clownfish-Bully to smaller fish
Red Head Salon Fairy Wrasse-One of the most aggressive fish I have owned and I have seen examples of aggression from every other one I have seen at my various LFS
Firefish/Dartfish-Too timid and spend too much time hiding for my tastes. My Purple Firefish was a bully magnet (with 3 of the 4 aggressive fish picking it as their number one target)
Diamond Watchman Goby-Great Fish but I went through 2 of them in 2 tanks in an 18 month period and I don't miss the sand storm effect in my tank
Green Mandarin-Gorgeous Fish and unique but despite my best efforts and a ridiculous amount of money spent it starved to death in 3 months. If I am feeling adventurous I might try a spotted at some point in the future.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great question, as most are reluctant to admit. I would never keep anglers again. They have a very high mortality rate and even when kept in the best conditions, only last 2-3 years for the best of them. Once over the fascination you realize they are very very boring, then you are maintaining a tank that just as well may have a silicone figurine in it as well as a live fish. I really did enjoy one of my painted anglers alot, he was a beast, he lived about 2.5 years. And they are best kept in a species tank alone or with very select roommates, which I don't mind, I have 3 species tanks right now, but most other hobbyists don't like it.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
convect tank
started beating up my sailfin BAD.....
even found white marks on her belly and he kept her pinned in a corner of the tank all the time
LOL;););)
I guess you have to keep your Sailfin in a concave or flat front tanks.
;););)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back