OP
OP
H

herbertmt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
~Thanks for all the welcomes guys - hatchlings 6-10 due overnight now. Others are growing but not visibly feeding yet or being cannibalistic, have a plan to darken the breeder boxes's size so they can identify and catch prey easier tomorrow.

National aquarium in Plymouth is having some of the eggs on Wednesday and if they have success will be giving me a few adults back and creating a display for them. Also been kind enough to give me a supply of mysis and some education on species selection and culturing.

For anyone wanting a laugh - after offering the London aquarium some eggs they came back with the following, when you read that bear in mind they live 12-18 months and grow to 4 inches long. Also the only aquarium i'm aware that has a successful breeding program is Monterey Bay in California (their exhibits are insane if you ever get the chance to go!).

We appreciate the time you have taken to write to us. Unfortunately this time we are unable to take your fish. We do have some of this species on display but our tanks are completely full of them and they are all donations from members of the public. The surplus of this species is sadly a big problem in our industry today as many of them were bought very small with the owners not knowing how long they would live and how big they would grow. You could try some of our sister Sea Life aquariums to rehome the animal or the London Zoo or Bristol Zoo aquariums as they both display this fish. For more information on this problem and what you can do to help please visit http://www.bigfishcampaign.org/

Had to educate the guy who's now said the relevant departments are looking into it... (made me giggle at the thought of a marine biologist reading his reply to me!)

Servillius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
~Thanks for all the welcomes guys - hatchlings 6-10 due overnight now. Others are growing but not visibly feeding yet or being cannibalistic, have a plan to darken the breeder boxes's size so they can identify and catch prey easier tomorrow.

National aquarium in Plymouth is having some of the eggs on Wednesday and if they have success will be giving me a few adults back and creating a display for them. Also been kind enough to give me a supply of mysis and some education on species selection and culturing.

For anyone wanting a laugh - after offering the London aquarium some eggs they came back with the following, when you read that bear in mind they live 12-18 months and grow to 4 inches long. Also the only aquarium i'm aware that has a successful breeding program is Monterey Bay in California (their exhibits are insane if you ever get the chance to go!).

We appreciate the time you have taken to write to us. Unfortunately this time we are unable to take your fish. We do have some of this species on display but our tanks are completely full of them and they are all donations from members of the public. The surplus of this species is sadly a big problem in our industry today as many of them were bought very small with the owners not knowing how long they would live and how big they would grow. You could try some of our sister Sea Life aquariums to rehome the animal or the London Zoo or Bristol Zoo aquariums as they both display this fish. For more information on this problem and what you can do to help please visit http://www.bigfishcampaign.org/

Had to educate the guy who's now said the relevant departments are looking into it... (made me giggle at the thought of a marine biologist reading his reply to me!)

Yeah, this is clearly the panther grouper email.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Hi All,

Wondered if anyone has any advice on rearing baby cuttlefish?

I have around 50 eggs, so far 1 hatchling.

If anyone wants some - please let me know as i can't realistically keep 50!

Oxford UK based

Thanks
I would be very interested in getting 2 eggs. I live up at Newcastle but I am home from China in 3 weeks. How much are you after for each of them?

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First... CONGRATS ON BEING A PROUD GRANDPARENT OF 50!!! ;Dummy1;Dummy

I have no idea, but I would think shipping them in egg form would be better than when they hatch. The egg itself is also a form of protection during shipping.

I would maybe put an egg in a small bag of water, then inside a small plastic container (like something you get at a deli that holds the oil/vinegar dressings?).

Shipping a newly hatched baby would be very difficult imo.

And to anybody that says they want one... Consider that you are able to house the animal in it's proper habitat conditions. Usually cuttlefish are a species-only tank.

MUSBFRANK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First... CONGRATS ON BEING A PROUD GRANDPARENT OF 50!!! ;Dummy1;Dummy

I have no idea, but I would think shipping them in egg form would be better than when they hatch. The egg itself is also a form of protection during shipping.

I would maybe put an egg in a small bag of water, then inside a small plastic container (like something you get at a deli that holds the oil/vinegar dressings?).

Shipping a newly hatched baby would be very difficult imo.

And to anybody that says they want one... Consider that you are able to house the animal in it's proper habitat conditions. Usually cuttlefish are a species-only tank.
Agreed, just because somebody wants one doesn't mean they should have one, sounds like an expert only species and or someone who's done their research long before this thread was posted!

OP
OP
H

herbertmt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I would be very interested in getting 2 eggs. I live up at Newcastle but I am home from China in 3 weeks. How much are you after for each of them?

Not a lot - it’s more about survival than money for me.

3 weeks there won’t be any eggs left for sure - likely almost adults by that point!

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Flamboyant cuttles are my favorite sea creatures! you're so lucky! if I were you I'd just sit an stare at my tank all day.

I went to the Birch aquarium and spent most of my time just watching them. They are fascinating. The Birch is in San Diego CA, btw. Not sure if they breed them or what but might be worth investigating their systems and methods etc.

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and thank you for sharing!!!This is so fantastic, that is all I can say.... Wonder if you have seen the video linked below all about cuttles and raising them. Ever since watching it keeping cuttles has been on my mind.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laura with ReefGen spoke at our reef club meeting about her success with raising cuttlefish. Might be able to get info from her.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot - it’s more about survival than money for me.

3 weeks there won’t be any eggs left for sure - likely almost adults by that point!
I would be very happy to take two adults if you don’t mind?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back