Flame angel injured or disease?

Nathan Fx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there,

Purchased a flame angel 3 days ago, he has been a picky eater since I got him but he finally ate some mysis shrimp. On day 1 I noticed a white spot on his dorsal fins. My first thought was that he bumped into a rock or something due to stress and wasn't so worried. But it kept getting bigger and I could say it has a moldy looking to me..

I just gave him a 7 minutes FW dip thinking it could be flukes but nothing fell from him. He also has a brownish dot near his dorsal fin again that I was sure it was fluke..
I think I filmed a decent video of the flame angel right after the FW dip. On the video, he's breathing fast obviously but he looked in good shape before the dip, like I said wasn't interested about food until yesterday but was very active at picking at rock..

Currently in QT with LR and skimmer, I have a 10g tank on hand for emergency copper treatment..
Hopefully, someone could ID something..

The video;

Thank you.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello there,

Purchased a flame angel 3 days ago, he has been a picky eater since I got him but he finally ate some mysis shrimp. On day 1 I noticed a white spot on his dorsal fins. My first thought was that he bumped into a rock or something due to stress and wasn't so worried. But it kept getting bigger and I could say it has a moldy looking to me..

I just gave him a 7 minutes FW dip thinking it could be flukes but nothing fell from him. He also has a brownish dot near his dorsal fin again that I was sure it was fluke..
I think I filmed a decent video of the flame angel right after the FW dip. On the video, he's breathing fast obviously but he looked in good shape before the dip, like I said wasn't interested about food until yesterday but was very active at picking at rock..

Currently in QT with LR and skimmer, I have a 10g tank on hand for emergency copper treatment..

The video;

Thank you.

This is an exposed dorsal spine which likely may have occurred from LFS netting the fish as they often get tangled in the net. Should heal on its own . Do not take steps especially FW dips without first knowing what you have.
Flukes you often cannot see with naked eye but rather symptoms

OP
OP
N

Nathan Fx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an exposed dorsal spine which likely may have occurred from LFS netting the fish as they often get tangled in the net. Should heal on its own . Do not take steps especially FW dips without first knowing what you have.
Flukes you often cannot see with naked eye but rather symptoms
Thank you for the response, always had good success with FW dip before but I understand your point.

Thanks again! :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there,

The video;

Thank you.

That looks like an injury from being caught in a net - pretty common and usually heals on its own.

However, the angel is breathing too fast. Be sure the water tests out good, and that the tank has good aeration (the skimmer should be doing that though). That leaves gill disease as the culprit. In that case, Coppersafe at 2.25 ppm would be the direction to go.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back