float switch for skimmer failsafe?

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My skimmer is fitted with a drain but i have always been to afraid of an overflow to use it.

I think it's time i do though. I want to put an electric float switch on the top of a 5 gallon bucket that will kill the power to the two eheims if the skimmer ever goes crazy and overflows. (Not often but once in a while it does). Basically once the bucket is full, the switch will activate and turn off the pumps.

Question is what would be a good switch to use? Each eheim is 65 watts. I have looked at tethered pump up switches like this
Float Switch Up - Pump Controllers - Water Pumping - Water, Heating & Pumping - Real Goods
and i know that one of those would work. I am really wondering if there is a smaller switch that can handle the two pumps.

Sasquatch

~Brunt of all jokes~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the simpler way is to use the skimmers intake air hose, the waste container would have a lid, hose fits tight through the hole, a second hole in the lid for air intake, next you need a holder of some kind with a ping pong ball located under the intake air line, waste rises, ball rises,hit airline and chokes the pump, you can buy them ready made, if I can find a pic Ill put one here for you.

Link to picture

Last edited:
OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
hmm Well i guess this would work with a smaller skimmer with one pump. I cant say it would be any better or easier to construct than a simple switch in a bucket.

Also I believe that running the deltec ehiems without air for prolonged periods of time is not good for them.

thanks though. I really am looking for an appropriate size switch. My original idea was to just have a drain at the top of the collection bucket that went back to the sump.

That would certainly be the simplest solution i just like the idea of using a switch.

Sasquatch

~Brunt of all jokes~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the switch is fine if it dosent get fouled so it would be good if it were activated other than by goo?, what about a relay to the neutral wire to kill the power?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And keep in mind the switch is mostly to avoid a flood. I will empty the bucket long before it fills. 5 gallons of deltec skimmate would stink up my whole house.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
again nice quite nice but i only need the switch. I can't justify 70.00 for this project. I figured a the right switch cant be more that 20-30.00 tops.

I did notice those wiper heads though. anyone use one of those?

Back