Floribraska's 220.6 Build Thread

Floribraska

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy, and thanks for checking out this build thread. I've been a long-time lurker on R2R but have never posted much, so maybe that will change as this tank progresses!

I have been fortunate enough to have been around aquariums my entire life. My grandpa was a prolific diver and has been a reefer for over 60 years. I've learned a lot from being apart of his successes and failures over the years with his ever-evolving system (an in-wall ~300g display plumbed to an exterior workshop with custom sump, tied into another ~200g Angelfish dominated display tank, 120g seahorse tank, 120g clowfish harem tank, etc... you get the idea) but I'm excited to finally be in a position where I can try to make him proud of my own tank!

Unfortunately, my wife is reasonable and didn't agree to let me compete with Gramps in our new house (North Texas area) by converting the entire place into an aquarium, so we settled on sticking to a ~6ft long display in our living room as the primary focal point. We built a home theater and don't want a TV where the previous homeowners had their living room entertainment system, so we had a perfect spot for the tank there! One of the limitations of this location however is a lack of reasonable access to plumb anything in or out, so all equipment must stay confined to the aquarium cabinet.

I ended up deciding on a Waterbox after comparing RedSea, quotes for custom-built locally, Planet Aquarium, GlassCages, and a couple other options. I ordered the Waterbox 220.6 and most of the equipment back before COVID really hit the US hard, and so I had most things delivered in early March. In the meanwhile, I also had 2 dedicated 15amp circuits added to power the tank, since the existing circuits were not going to cut it.

Edit: Equipment list as of 6/1/22

Tank & Sump:
Waterbox 220.6
72"x25"x24" - 167g display with internal overflow
39g Sump with Refugium Section in use
18g ATO reservoir with Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO Controller

Lighting:
4x Radion XR30 G5 Pros
1x AI Prime Fuge light

Filtration:
Red Sea RSK900 Skimmer
Refugium section topped with chaeto algae. Also holds marinepure blocks & spare live rock
2x BRS Canister Filters for Carbon and GFO
57W UV Sterilizer
Sicce Silent 5.0 pump (UV & Chiller plumbed in-line with flow-rate optimized for UV turnover)

Return & Flow:
1x Vectra L2 - main return
4x MP40s - 2 on each side of the tank

RO/DI & Water Mixing Station:
2x 55gal Containers - 1x for Mixing Salt & 1x for clean RO/DI
1x Vectra L2 (also serves as a swappable replacement for primary return pump if necessary)
BRS 7 stage Pro Plus 150GPD system

Heating/Cooling:
Ranco Temperature Controller
BRS 600W Titanium Heating Element
Arctica 1/3HP Chiller
6x PC fans controlled by a DIY controller via a Rasperry Pi for proper airflow through Chiller

Dosing & Testing:
Versa 4 Pack with Base Station
3x compact 4L dosing containers with Red Sea Foundations A,B,C
Vodka dosing
Salifert Test Kits (Ca, Mg, and Nitrate weekly)
Hanna Phosphate Checker (weekly)
Hanna Alk Checker (daily)
Salinity refractometer (daily)
MQ-210 PAR meter

Tank Delivered!
Waterbox delivery (2).jpg

Safe in the garage for unboxing.
Waterbox delivery (1).jpg

Pretty well-packaged. No scratches to be found!
Waterbox unpacking (2).jpg

Moving the tank into position was delayed when I discovered an issue with the Waterbox stand; no holes and threaded inserts for the support feet were in the front support! Waterbox customer service was pretty responsive with me on resolving this. They offered to mail me the threaded inserts and let me drill the holes myself (2-3day shipping) or send a replacement panel with the holes and inserts correctly installed (7-10 day shipping). While I'm comfortable with my ability to drill holes, I opted for the latter option to be safe.

Waterbox Assembly (4).jpg

Electrical line added. I had to go up from my main box, through the attic, and back down like this. No one ever sees this tiny side-yard, so it was the best option.
Electrical Wiring (4).jpg

More stand assembly. Waterbox provides lackluster instructions... It's fairly intuitive, but I'd really like to see them improve on their assembly documentation.
Waterbox Assembly (6).jpg

All done.
Waterbox Assembly (1).jpg

In the meanwhile I had purchased dry rock from BRS, and been playing around with aquascaping. I laid out a cardboard cutout with the tank dimensions, and this is what I came up with. I like having some negative space to help ensure flow can move detritus from behind the rocks, plus I wanted to leave ample space for coral to grow out. It's much easier to add more rock than take it away once it's already in there I figured.
Dry aquascape (3).jpg

Couple shots of the mixing station in the utility room. I had a pretty limited space to work with, but it'll do.
Water bixing stations (1).jpg

Water bixing stations (3).jpg

In mid-March we got the tank moved into place. 3/4" glass is HEAVY! All hands were on deck and needed to get it into place! Aquascaping moved into the tank, and this pretty close to the final product. It needed to have a good side-view too, since one end is quite visible from our kitchen table.
Full Dry setup.jpg

I didn't take any photos of water and sand being added, but for cycling the tank I used MicroBactr7 and did a fish-less cycle, which worked exceedingly well. I also added some red and purple algae spores from ARC to seed the dry, dead rock and color it up. I was skeptical at first, but it does work!

Despite being at home everyday for the last 6+ months (I worked from home even before COVID), I took surprisingly few good pictures of the tank and it's progress over the first few months, so we'll have to just jump straight to current-day in my next post.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Floribraska

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been pretty dissapointed in all the LFS in the DFW area, so I've ordered basically everything online. My grandpa is in Central Florida, so the LFS quality I'm used to seeing is in the TopShelfAquatics & WWC category, which likely has something to do with my expectations... In any case, whenever I am in FL to visit we always make the rounds and I can usually pick up some nice pieces directly and fly them back home. I just got back from a trip in July, and brought home some goodies!

As expected I am still in a brown ugly phase, but I am seeing more coralline algae growth take hold. Parameters have stayed quite stable over the last 3 months, and I've seen decent initial growth in most frags I've purchased to date which is encouraging. I've struggled with keeping NO3 and PO4 up and measurable, but at present I'm not overly concerned about it.

Tank parameters:
Temp - 77F
SG - 1.0258
PH - 8.20
Alk - 7.7
Ca - 420
Mg - 1400
NO3 - 0
PO4 - 0.00

Current stocking list:
CUC - Dwarf Cerith snails, assorted hermit crabs, nassarius snails
5x Blue Chromis
3x Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1x Flame Cardinalfish
2x Longnose hawkfish
3x yellow tangs

SPS frags:
Red monti cap
Purple monti cap
seasons greetings monti
teal ants monti
Green Slimmer acro
pink tort acro
red robin acro
Monti Digitata
UC Flying Dutchman acro
UC Reign of Fire acro
ASD Dragon Fire acro
Red Planet Acro
RRC Pink Cadillac acro
ARC Fireworks acro
Sour Apple Birdsnest
PC Rainbow acro
Tricolor Valida
Kramer Sabertooth Acro
Acid Trip Acro
Aussie Gold/Blue Acro
Bill Murray Acro

LPS:
Duncan coral
Pink-tip elegance coral
Handful of different red acans
Nuclear tips torch
Gorgeous Cristata

Full-tank shot
20200802_145658.jpg

Pink-Tip Elegance
20200802_145745.jpg

Torch Coral
20200701_140023.jpg

One of the red Acans
20200802_145937.jpg

side view
20200802_145927.jpg

other side view, with bonus hawkfish up front
20200802_150014.jpg

Favorite spot to perch at the moment!
20200802_150047.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Floribraska

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been reluctant to post much of an update since I’ve been pretty down about the reef tank and disappointed in myself for how things are going. I obviously did too much too quick, and am paying for such a rookie mistake. Below is what the tank looks like right now.

20201023_164108.jpg

In August I noticed what appeared to be black bugs? (maybe?) and/or AEFW (definitely) in the display tank. By the time I confirmed the infestation, it was already too late. After many dips, medications, and other attempts to control the issue, I ended up having to throw away all corals. The only survivors are the Elegance coral and 1 random zoa frag that was a freebie from AquaSD.

I am hoping an extended fallow period will be sufficient to resolve this problem, thus I intend to introduce no new coral until at least next calendar year. I have noticed no signs of AEFW for the last month or so, which is promising I guess. I however, still persistently see some unknown “pod” or “bug” or something that I quite weary of… But I’ll get into that later.

After beginning the fallow period, I have experienced an impressive dino bloom. I recently was able to observe them under a microscope, and am hoping to confirm ID soon. My initial guess is Amphidinium, but I’m hoping other reef experts can help. Images below, but I’ll post in another thread as well. I’ve tried reading through all the other dino threads on here, but there is such a large quantity of information I’ve struggled confirming an ID based on my observations.

01_Image.jpg

02_Image.jpg

o5_image.jpg

03_image.jpg

04_image.jpg

I have consistently tested water parameters and been submitting Triton water tests, which all have indicated solid water quality (doing something right at least), aside from low/no Phosphate and Nitrate. I have never been able to measure Nitrates outside of the initial tank cycle, and I measured Phosphates for the very first time this week (.005ppm). All other parameters have consistently been on target, so I am hoping to slowly dose sodium nitrate to increase my Nitrates some to combat the dinos. I also adjusted my UV plumbing to return into the Display Tank vs back into the sump. I have been changing socks every other day for a couple weeks as they plug up. Maybe a blackout period is also in order too? We’ll see what others advise.

While I had the microscope out I also looked at a couple of the odd “pods” I keep seeing on the walls of my tank… Hard to see much, but in general they are whitish in color and visible to the naked eye, have a shell of some sorts with appendages almost like a flea. They are larger than other “real” pods I observe in the tank, and look quite different. They move almost like a crab or snail with a “crawling” movement pattern. Other “real” pods are more translucent, move with more flutter in their “swim”. I presume my unknown “pods” can “Swim” too, but I have not directly observed this behavior yet. They have always been found on surfaces thus far.

pod1.jpg

pod2.jpg

pod4.jpg

pod6.jpg

Any ideas what this critters might be? Good? Bad? Other? :D

Additionally both hawkish jumped out of the tank, and several other fish have gone MIA, presumed to be dead.. including a pair of cute 1.5” long six-line wrasses. Thus the current stocking is:
  • 3x Yellow Tang
  • 8x Blue Chromis
  • 2x Rainfordi gobies
  • 3x Skink Cleaner Shrimp
  • 1x Flame Cardinalfish
I have also added 4x MP40s to help increase water movement throughout the tank to hit some deadspots detritus was collecting. Maybe I should have gone with my gut and started with them during the initial tank setup, but at least they are there now!

All in all, I think my major mistakes were:
  • Too much too fast. Everything seemed stable enough, but that obviously was not the case.
  • Ineffective/non-existent coral QT. Yes I dipped, yes I visually inspected and scrubbed, yes I even changed most frag plugs to my own plugs, but still without a “true” QT, I ended up with pests.
  • Poor bio diversity from using dry rock vs using “real” live rock. While it would not have solved my other issues, it may have helped reduce their ultimate effects some.
  • Allowing nutrients to bottom out, and stay bottomed out.
  • See #1 again :rolleyes:

In summary, my main next steps are:
  • Setup a dedicated Coral QT tank. This is in progress, an old 29g tank in my home office across from the fish QT tank. Initial live rock cycling has started with dry rock and Microbactr7.
  • Continue the coral fallow period through the calendar year.
  • ID the dinos, start dosing Nitrates and/or follow whatever advice I can get to beat the dinos back.
  • Take my time and do nothing drastic for the next couple of months, aside from the above.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Floribraska

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear this, we have the same tank.....anything we can help with?

Thanks for the support, I appreciate that in and of itself! At this point I'm just hoping to get more advice on how to combat the Dino's I'm seeing, as well as maybe try to ID the other critter "pod" thing I see throughout my tank. If the "pod" is a confirmed bad guy, I'll probably just tear down the tank and start-over honestly... I've read about some people getting prescription Interceptor from a vet to fight bad bugs, and I just don't think that will be an option for me.

KWT

Keep on keepin on
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, you have the tank I want to get next year. Sorry to hear about your issues. Hope things turn around for you. I am going to follow along

OP
OP
F

Floribraska

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, you have the tank I want to get next year. Sorry to hear about your issues. Hope things turn around for you. I am going to follow along

Thanks! The quality on the Waterbox has been great for an "Out of the Box" solution and not a true custom aquarium/stand/sump system. The things I don't love about my Waterbox are minor things like the metric plumbing, odd metric "loc-line" size, sump design nuances, etc. Overall though I think you will really like it! The glass clarity is fantastic, although I have found it does scratch quite easily.

OP
OP
F

Floribraska

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a long couple of months, but I'm happy to report that I think I have made significant progress combating my dinos! *knocks on wood*

After dosing Sodium Nitrate and Sodium Phosphate Dibasic from Loudwolf to increase my Nitrates and Phosphates, I was able to use a series of blackout periods to stress the dinos enough to eliminate them. For the past month I have not seen any visible signs of dinos, nor been able to identify any in my microscope samples.

During my fallow period I saw a large increase in coralline algae growth, and I am optimistic that the tank is on the upswing. Here are some pictures of the tank as-is - everything seems to be doing well enough!

Attachments

• 20210108_114722.jpg
    20210108_114722.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 20210108_114826.jpg
    20210108_114826.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210108_114843.jpg
    20210108_114843.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210108_114858.jpg
    20210108_114858.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210108_114915.jpg
    20210108_114915.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210108_114946.jpg
    20210108_114946.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 45

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes nothing good happens fast in a reef tank!

Glad you have the tank back on track.

Either I missed it or you don't have it, with the equipment you have, I would highly suggest a controller. I think the equipment you have leans towards apex.

Once you hit a certain $$ threshold, you definitely want a controller (or something similar) and you have definitely hit that level!

OP
OP
F

Floribraska

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes nothing good happens fast in a reef tank!

Glad you have the tank back on track.

Either I missed it or you don't have it, with the equipment you have, I would highly suggest a controller. I think the equipment you have leans towards apex.

Once you hit a certain $$ threshold, you definitely want a controller (or something similar) and you have definitely hit that level!

You are definitely right, and I originally had planned to use APEX when planning my tank, but with the inoperability between the 2 ecosystems being clear upon the release of the Radion G5s, I decided it would be better for me to wait and see how each side responded to this "split". I have a lot of EcoTech hardware (4x Radions, 4x Versas, and 1x Vectras, 4x VorTechs) so the inability to control a large portion of my equipment with APEX is a nonstarter for me at the moment.

Honestly I HATE how half-A$$ed Mobius is from the EcoTech side, and I think their software sucks for the premium paid for EcoTech hardware. It's a joke, and has made me wonder if I made a big mistake buying EcoTech gear... I much prefer the robust software and programmatic control offered by APEX, but at this time I am just not interested in running a half-baked solution where an APEX and my EcoTech gear don't integrate with each other.

Such a shame they decided to silo themselves... Surely I'm not the only reefer that has decided to spend less with BOTH companies due to this split.

I've also considered building a reef-pi, but need to do more research before I go down that path.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Floribraska

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my tank did not fair the fun Texas "Blizzard" event all that well. All my coral have died, or are in the process of dying, minus 2x acans that seem to be hanging on. I am thankful though that all the fish and the inverts did survive!

My battery backups did help keep the MP40's on and circulate the water sufficiently, but the temps just got too cold I think. We had consistent rolling blackouts of 15-30min on and 4-6hrs off, and while I did wrap the tank in spare thermal blankets to try to retain as much heat as I could, it just wasn't quite enough.

Worst part of the whole ordeal was that I was already in the process of getting quotes for installing a whole home standby generator... A dollar short and a day late on that plan I guess :rolleyes:

I will try to take some pictures this weekend and post a more through update.

OP
OP
F

Floribraska

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture update as promised, better late than never right?

Caught a couple pictures of one of the shrimp with eggs.
20210302_201320.jpg
20210302_201323.jpg

Full Tank Shot -- Everyone hid from the camera
20210317_155349.jpg

Couple close ups of the 2 Acans
20210317_155423.jpg
20210317_155433.jpg

Little white-lined combtooth blenny. Super cute little guy!
20210317_155640.jpg

Fat Rainfordi goby and one of the Tangs hiding from the camera again
20210317_155646.jpg

This is the only Acropora that survived the Texas Blizzard. It's getting about 300par, and has some hints of green starting to show under it's otherwise drab purple-ish color. I can't say I've noticed any growth, but it's maintained this PE so I'm hopefully about it.
20210317_155741.jpg

Tank parameters taken today are:
SG - 1.0250
Alk - 8.0
PO4 - .06
Nitrate - 10ppm (between 10-25ppm on the Salifert kit, but definitely closer to the 10ppm color)
Ca - 440
Mg - 1410
Ph - 8.3

This is pretty close to the 1yr anniversary of this tank, and it's been much more challenging to get going than I remember encountering with my past tanks! Hopefully I can start to get some coral to survive over the coming months :)

OP
OP
F

Floribraska

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been awhile since I posted an update - but overall things are going just "ok". Here is the tank currently:

20210815_144036.jpg

Good news first: all my fish have been doing quite well! I ordered a pair of Genicanthus melanospilos from Dr. Reef back in December, 2020, and received them on June 30th. The female arrived with a sore on her side, and didn't make it more than a couple days. Mike was great to work with on shipping a replacement, with the replacement female arriving on July 22nd. The pair has been thriving since, and I'm very satisfied with how they round out the stocking in my tank. The acclimation box helped reduce aggression from the Male towards the replacement female, and they get along well now - no issues with any of the tankmates as far as I can tell.

20210722_123417.jpg

20210722_123423.jpg

At this point, I don't plan to add any more fish, but I do highly recommend Dr. Reef! While the communication was lackluster, I know he's taken steps to improve in that department.

I also wound up buying a lid from Top Lids, mostly to keep some curious little ones from trying to put toys in the tank. I was hesitant to get a lid at all since I really liked the exposed water surface and rimless tank look, but it was an unfortunate necessity, and the lid from Top Lids looks great! Tyler was a pleasure to work with, and overall the lid turned out well. Only 2x minor issues with it, but that may very well haven been my fault (1x extra pipe cutout on the left side, and the left side is maybe 1/4" too short, leaving a gap next to the overflow) so I'm content with how it turned out overall. I'll definitely use them again in the future.

20210624_132225.jpg

20210624_172038.jpg

20210624_172108.jpg

20210624_183429.jpg

Overall I'm not super satisfied with the tank in it's current state. It's fine as a FOWLR, but it's just not the reef tank I am striving towards, so for the foreseeable future I'm focusing on trying to keep some coral, any coral, alive! Hopefully my next update shows some fruits of those labors.

Tank parameters taken today are:
SG - 1.0250
Alk - 8.2
PO4 - .04
Nitrate - 10ppm
Ca - 440
Mg - 1420
Ph - 8.3

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful fish!! Keep working at the coral. I'm certain you'll be able to get some growing soon!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back