Flow in a 48" peninsula

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a 48" x 18" x 14" (L x W X H) built and I'm wondering about flow... I'm going for a very clean look so Im doing a XAqua InOut for a sleek combo overflow/return. I was going to do powerheads only on the side of the tank that is against the wall in the peninsula. Will I need powerheads on the other side of the tank? That would defeat the clean look I'm going for. In that case I would have the tank drilled from the bottom so I can do a closed loop system for flow on that side of the tank. Just seeing if I should do the closed loop or if powerheads on the one side only (side against the wall) will be sufficient... I just don't want to drill the bottom unless it's necessary.

I should also add that the scape will be minimalistic with only a few shallow islands in it.

Last edited:

teddymoos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you're doing sps or mixed reef a gyre would work well as that's what I use.its a jabao brand pump. got it for around 100 on amazon

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you're doing sps or mixed reef a gyre would work well as that's what I use.its a jabao brand pump. got it for around 100 on amazon
Are you saying a Gyre only on one side (side against the wall) would be sufficient to circulate water across the entire 4 foot tank?

teddymoos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying a Gyre only on one side (side against the wall) would be sufficient to circulate water across the entire 4 foot tank?
yes I am. with the right size pump of course. I have a 36" tank and my smaller gyre is sufficient for my mixed reef needs

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. You don't have detritus building up on the side farthest from the gyre?
It should create circulation around the tank, but you can play with the placement in the side to maximize it. Really depends how your rocks are laid out.

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks for the info. I didn't have it drilled from the bottom. That'll save me an unnecessary headache

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back