Flow patterns make a difference???

Steven9194

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup two Gyre XF330s with the cloud controller on a new tank. Only has two clowns as of today, but I plan to do all types of coral in the future.

The cloud controller app has a few different “advanced” presets options (SPS,LPS,FOT,LTC,OGC).

The first three I understand are for those specific corals or non coral tanks, but what are the last two options?

Are these ”advanced” preset patters worth using, should I use just stick with a standard preset or does it really not matter?

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the verdict is still out on some of that. Essentially, the more random the flow, the more likely to move waste.

For example, a back and forth gyre will usually cause things to settle in one location. But randomized will cause low flow to settle in one spot them heavy pulses move it, and short bursts move it again, etc.

This is also true for the water in the space around coral.

So personally speaking, more random is typically better. However, make sure to match the flow to the type of coral. Too much/too random can cause coral like happens and torches to cut themselves on their skeletons and injur/kill the coral.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back