Flow rates

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much turnover do I need to run a bean animal? I got 29 gallon. I’ve got a 300 gallon pump right now and it not strong enough to keep it flowing.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 300 GPH pump is not going to pump 300 GPH with head losses

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What matters is the size of the plumbing.. bean animal is nothing more than the creators name.. it’s a herbie style with a extra emergency drain.. I used to run all those crazy things now I just have a single full siphon drain and no emergencies… tank is super quiet.. I have a cover over my drain and never had an issue with a drain getting clogged! I know it’s a possibility and we prepare for the worst but it works for my application lol..

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much turnover do I need to run a bean animal? I got 29 gallon. I’ve got a 300 gallon pump right now and it not strong enough to keep it flowing.
Then I would have enough. But the bean animal seems to use more for sure.
What do you mean here? Your overflow box is emptying? If so, you would need to close the gate valve more. It might help to describe your overflow a little more, or get a picture.

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What matters is the size of the plumbing.. bean animal is nothing more than the creators name.. it’s a herbie style with a extra emergency drain.. I used to run all those crazy things now I just have a single full siphon drain and no emergencies… tank is super quiet.. I have a cover over my drain and never had an issue with a drain getting clogged! I know it’s a possibility and we prepare for the worst but it works for my application lol..
I use 3/4 pipe.

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the siphon kicks in on main it sucks all the water out of the chamber. Not leveling, I been adjusting it so 2 can take some put 1 still takes it all. After a while it like pulls more water. Sorry not the best at explaining
What do you mean here? Your overflow box is emptying? If so, you would need to close the gate valve more. It might help to describe your overflow a little more, or get a picture

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean here? Your overflow box is emptying? If so, you would need to close the gate valve more. It might help to describe your overflow a little more, or get a picture.
Yeh I’ll probably up the flow because I’m almost having to close it all the way.
It wouldn’t take much to run the drain full sphion
But you’d have to throttle it back quiet a bit with a gate valve unless you up the flow to 800gph or so.
It wouldn’t take much to run the drain full sphion
But you’d have to throttle it back quiet a bit with a gate valve unless you up the flow to 800gph or

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the siphon kicks in on main it sucks all the water out of the chamber. Not leveling, I been adjusting it so 2 can take some put 1 still takes it all. After a while it like pulls more water. Sorry not the best at explaining
Do you have a gate valve on the main (siphon) drain? You'll have to close it until the water level in the overflow is where you want it. Likely have to have the valve almost closed all the way.

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a gate valve on the main (siphon) drain? You'll have to close it until the water level in the overflow is where you want it. Likely have to have the valve almost closed all the way.
Yes, I’m using a ball valve for now. Gonna change it out later.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 gph will not take a very big opening. At a three foot drop it is about a 1/4" diameter hole. A 3/4" ball vave might be very hard to get adjusted correctly.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back