Flow Sensors - Usage and Example setup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Danny24 below are my flow rates
3984 L/h on the return
2034 l/h to the Reefgium
1756 l/h through my reactor

@mckinleyw - Yes only 4

Danny42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers Marco, what setup have you got for the return, ie, pump and pipe size

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked over this thread and realized that a lot of questions remained unanswered!

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know which flow sensor to use in a 25mm pipe in order to minimize (avoid) restricting the flow?

Thanks

Terry165

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how many flow sensors can be used on the P4 without having to purchase an extension port?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terry165 4 flow sensors can be plugged into the P4. You would need to use a Y cable which plugs into the port and allows two flow sensors to be plugged into one port.

You can have only 4 flow sensors in total at this time. They have discussed increasing the number in a future update.

Right now on one of my tanks I have 4;

Calcium reactor, reefgium, return pump, and then my closed loop.

On my other tank I have two:

Return pump, and one to my chiller.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@VJV - The restriction of the flow will be minimal as there really no moving part to obstruct the water in where the flow meter is it will all depend on the size of your piping. If your going 2" to 1" yes your going to see some restriction :). I plumbed mine at 1.5" return to the 1" Flow Meter back to 1.5". Yes I have some flow restriction because I went down to 1" because my return was larger but I put 6" of 1" piping on both sides to make sure any turbulence is not seen due to the restriction and it been working great.

What is the size of the pipe your thinking of putting this one?

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@VJV - The restriction of the flow will be minimal as there really no moving part to obstruct the water in where the flow meter is it will all depend on the size of your piping. If your going 2" to 1" yes your going to see some restriction :). I plumbed mine at 1.5" return to the 1" Flow Meter back to 1.5". Yes I have some flow restriction because I went down to 1" because my return was larger but I put 6" of 1" piping on both sides to make sure any turbulence is not seen due to the restriction and it been working great.

What is the size of the pipe your thinking of putting this one?

Thanks! That was actually my question [emoji1]... I have 25mm pipe. So which sensor will provide the min restriction? The 9000l/h or the 6000L/h?

OP
OP
Support@GHLUSA

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is everyone subscribed to our news letter? Because there was one sent out 2 days ago that had some good news regarding flow sensors...

New products: Coming soon
f3I2xzn1Ru-aE9ziQuBouE-4G_q9QZS3w_YZzA4of27urZCoFMeMmMFuuzyJCf2t_woVHgNiJdJgurMMY-ogTsuedUb3PAqMEplagAn8HMpTlYwPglOhVvfq6HG5PKK-Uf8JDk_uWYkoeMVOyaqTxx1_e2JNpjxaX5w=s0-d-e1-ft

Flow sensor IMPERIAL fittings
Imperial socket fitting for Flow Sensor 5000 / 9000 models; pack of 2
PL-1667 / PL-1668, respectively

Flow sensor METRIC fittings
Metric socket fitting for Flow Sensor 2000 / 5000 / 9000 models; pack of 2
PL-1664 / PL-1665 / PL-1666, respectively

EdsReefOdyssey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this means you wont have to listen to me complaining about BSPP fittings anymore!! ;)

Terry165

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terry165 4 flow sensors can be plugged into the P4. You would need to use a Y cable which plugs into the port and allows two flow sensors to be plugged into one port.

You can have only 4 flow sensors in total at this time. They have discussed increasing the number in a future update.

Right now on one of my tanks I have 4;

Calcium reactor, reefgium, return pump, and then my closed loop.

On my other tank I have two:

Return pump, and one to my chiller.
@ditto Thank you very much for the very informative reply. I have ordered a Red Sea Reefer 425xl and i really want to buy the GHL P4 and doser.
I will require 3 flow sensors, a leak detector and ATO with 2 sensors. Would I need an extension card?
The flow sensors I'm intending on using on a M1 return pump, teco chiller and UV. Do you know what flow sensors I will be requiring? Thanks for the support.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Marco mentioned, we'll make the announcement once we have confirmed arrival of these fittings. :)

@ditto Thank you very much for the very informative reply. I have ordered a Red Sea Reefer 425xl and i really want to buy the GHL P4 and doser.
I will require 3 flow sensors, a leak detector and ATO with 2 sensors. Would I need an extension card?
The flow sensors I'm intending on using on a M1 return pump, teco chiller and UV. Do you know what flow sensors I will be requiring? Thanks for the support.

Since you'd be running a total of 6 sensors, yes you would need a PLM-4Level expansion card.
  • P4 comes with 2 LEVEL ports, each port supporting 2 sensors; for a total of 4 sensors out of the box
  • PLM-4LEVEL card adds the ability to connect an additional 4 sensors.
  • For 6 sensors, you would also need 3x PL-LY splitter cables.
As for flow sensor requirement, I would do 3x FS9000.
  • Of course this all depends on the size plumbing you plan to use for the chiller and UV.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That was actually my question [emoji1]... I have 25mm pipe. So which sensor will provide the min restriction? The 9000l/h or the 6000L/h?

Understand that Marco kind of stole my thunder with the announcement but could anyone let me know what is the correct (metric) flow sensor for 25mm pipe [emoji16]?

Terry165

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Marco mentioned, we'll make the announcement once we have confirmed arrival of these fittings. :)

Since you'd be running a total of 6 sensors, yes you would need a PLM-4Level expansion card.
  • P4 comes with 2 LEVEL ports, each port supporting 2 sensors; for a total of 4 sensors out of the box
  • PLM-4LEVEL card adds the ability to connect an additional 4 sensors.
  • For 6 sensors, you would also need 3x PL-LY splitter cables.
As for flow sensor requirement, I would do 3x FS9000.
  • Of course this all depends on the size plumbing you plan to use for the chiller and UV.
Really much appreciate your response. I'm new to reefing and it's great having such a response. Thanks again.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 176 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back