Fluconazole Tank Water Cloudy

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling a couple types of algae. Won a battle, but right now I'm having a bad ordeal with hair algae. I think there were some things I didn't know the best or didn't do right, and I'm definitely having a serious fight with it.

I dosed fluconazole (sounds like it's entirely reef safe and a good way to clear up algae and fight it down). I'm only a couple days in (dosed 3 days ago) and today my tank water is cloudy. I am assuming this is the result of the fluconazole working? Does this merit any response? Should I keep on my normal water change schedule? I'm assuming that it's a good sign overall.

Thoughts?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's hazy, it sounds like a bacterial bloom. I don't think Fluconazole kills algae fast enough to cause a bacterial bloom, so it may be unrelated. I would try to oxygenate the water as best as possible

OP
OP
T

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's hazy, it sounds like a bacterial bloom. I don't think Fluconazole kills algae fast enough to cause a bacterial bloom, so it may be unrelated. I would try to oxygenate the water as best as possible
I want to be clear, and I feel like I have made a couple mistakes with this tank: I have a LOT of algae in there. It's bad. It's very bad. And it's not terribly cloudy just a bit cloudy. I also think the cloudiness has actually gone down some already. But I definitely haven't handled this algae particularly well. But I'm trying to get it back on track and get the tank nice again. I've made a couple mistakes but I'm digging myself out and trying to get it going well again.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal, proper CuC and maintaining parameters are always the best route for algae. The stuff in the bottles is pretty much all algicide.

As for the bloom check parameters regularly and provide extra aeration.

OP
OP
T

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal, proper CuC and maintaining parameters are always the best route for algae. The stuff in the bottles is pretty much all algicide.

As for the bloom check parameters regularly and provide extra aeration.
When I started, I had very low nutrients. Kept the tank super clean but didn't really help the corals grow. Went on a trip. Used a bad auto feeder. It fed way too much. I didn't pay the best attention and it got out of control faster than I thought it could. Totally on me, I made mistakes, and I'm at the point where if I manually remove any algae, it causes a lot to be released into the water column and clogs a bunch of things up. I know it's my mistakes and fault 100%. I'm trying to make sure now that I get things back on track and nice again. I want to come out better than before.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started, I had very low nutrients. Kept the tank super clean but didn't really help the corals grow. Went on a trip. Used a bad auto feeder. It fed way too much. I didn't pay the best attention and it got out of control faster than I thought it could. Totally on me, I made mistakes, and I'm at the point where if I manually remove any algae, it causes a lot to be released into the water column and clogs a bunch of things up. I know it's my mistakes and fault 100%. I'm trying to make sure now that I get things back on track and nice again. I want to come out better than before.
Don't beat yourself up. Happens to many. Use your siphon with a toothbrush at the end during water changes. Will eliminate most from floating away.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to be clear, and I feel like I have made a couple mistakes with this tank: I have a LOT of algae in there. It's bad. It's very bad. And it's not terribly cloudy just a bit cloudy. I also think the cloudiness has actually gone down some already. But I definitely haven't handled this algae particularly well. But I'm trying to get it back on track and get the tank nice again. I've made a couple mistakes but I'm digging myself out and trying to get it going well again.

Is it a hazy/milky cloudiness or is the water green?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No worries. Everyone has had something go wrong with a tank. Part of the hobby is simply figuring out how to prevent repeating problems. I've had numerous problems arise (be that equipment failing or me).

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling a couple types of algae. Won a battle, but right now I'm having a bad ordeal with hair algae. I think there were some things I didn't know the best or didn't do right, and I'm definitely having a serious fight with it.

I dosed fluconazole (sounds like it's entirely reef safe and a good way to clear up algae and fight it down). I'm only a couple days in (dosed 3 days ago) and today my tank water is cloudy. I am assuming this is the result of the fluconazole working? Does this merit any response? Should I keep on my normal water change schedule? I'm assuming that it's a good sign overall.

Thoughts?
How big is the tank and how much fluconazole did you dose?

It does not cause cloudy water and as others said, it's a bacteria bloom.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 177 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back