Fluffy cloud with little buddies

dnprall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please see video. Area in question is about the size of a quarter. Showed up over the last couple of days.

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little hard to see but I feel like I can make out hydrozoans. I have a bunch in my tank that are similar to the photo below. I used to be concerned but they come and go..don’t bother much. More of an eye sore. Some varieties can do some serious damage with a nasty sting. maybe if you can get a good still photo? The ones I have will get all sorts of stuff trapped in their “structure” giving it a fluffy appearance.

I really can’t be sure though I can’t see that well. The other thought I had was maybe some sort of biofilm created by a bacteria, but I thought I could see little polyp heads on some.
IMG_1732.png

OP
OP
D

dnprall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little hard to see but I feel like I can make out hydrozoans. I have a bunch in my tank that are similar to the photo below. I used to be concerned but they come and go..don’t bother much. More of an eye sore. Some varieties can do some serious damage with a nasty sting. maybe if you can get a good still photo? The ones I have will get all sorts of stuff trapped in their “structure” giving it a fluffy appearance.

I really can’t be sure though I can’t see that well. The other thought I had was maybe some sort of biofilm created by a bacteria, but I thought I could see little polyp heads on some.
IMG_1732.png
Well the video looks better on my phone (ugh compression). I see what you mean regarding the hydrozoans.

However what I’m more referring too are the little creatures that appear inside the fluffy stuff and move around. I’ll try to get a picture of them after work.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However what I’m more referring too are the little creatures that appear inside the fluffy stuff and move around. I’ll try to get a picture of them after work.
Looks like pods of some variety (I see multiple kinds) - I can't tell what specific kinds they are from the video, but they're most likely harmless/beneficial for the tank.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bacterial blooms typically either go away with time, or when the problem that caused the bloom is fixed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like a bacterial or mass of uneaten food with pods doing a clean up

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What can cause a bacterial bloom ? What’s the typical ?
High nutrients, a clump of something decaying that there aren't enough scavengers to clean up quickly, or occasionally something like a temperature or parameter swing unbalancing the tank and giving the bacteria a chance to multiply. Or, occasionally, new tanks just get them as part of the stability working itself out.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 86 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back