Flukes?

veselym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does this sound like flukes or Ich

I have a one spot fox face, starry blenny, trio of pajama cardinals and pair of clowns in my 180.

The Blenny has very cloudy eyes along with the fox face...the blenny has flashed once or twice but not all the time and the clowns have done it but not every day. The female clowns also sometimes freaks out and shakes her head then scratches it on the sandbed.

No one has spots except for the Fox Face, he had 3 larger ones for a day then they were gone...he also has a fray on his back fin where one spot was

Cardinals don't appear to have any spots or cloudy eyes

everyone eats well

I though it was ich when the Fox Face got spots but they literally were only there a day and were spaced apart/larger

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, my foxface also gets few spots from time to time that will only be there a day or so. None of the other fish have any signs and he is FAT!!

OP
OP
veselym

veselym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is fat and eats a lot as well...his color is a little faded though and the cloudy eyes

I am about 80% certain it is flukes but would like some opinions

OP
OP
veselym

veselym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok it is Flukes, just got a really good look at my Fox Faces eyes and saw the flukes...I dosed Prazi an our ago so that's prob why I can see them now

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather use prazi...FW dips are pretty stressful

I'm not suggesting you do the FW dip to treat the fish. I'm suggesting you do the dip to confirm if it's flukes. I they are flukes, they will pop off the fish in the FW and will look like sesame seeds. Do it in a dark container or a clear bag.

If you confirm it is flukes, then do Prazi.

OP
OP
veselym

veselym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see multiple seed like objects in his eyes...before they were completely hazy but now I can definitely see defined objects

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 rounds of Prazipro, spaced 5-7 days apart should knock it out if it is flukes. However, as mentioned above, only a FW dip will confirm whether or not you are actually dealing with flukes.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see multiple seed like objects in his eyes...before they were completely hazy but now I can definitely see defined objects

Does it look like this?

Diplostomum_spathaceum.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those are flukes that have reached the eyes. You need to treat with Prazipro ASAP. Personally, I would give this fish a FW dip beforehand to provide some immediate relief. No longer than 5 mins. You should see white flukes pour out of his gills & eyes at around the 2-3 min mark. Aerate the FW dip water well, and temp & pH match it.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are flukes that have reached the eyes. You need to treat with Prazipro ASAP. Personally, I would give this fish a FW dip beforehand to provide some immediate relief. No longer than 5 mins. You should see white flukes pour out of his gills & eyes at around the 2-3 min mark. Aerate the FW dip water well, and temp & pH match it.

Is second this if they are on they eyes. You don't want permanent eye damage. I had to dip my Niger trigger because of this.

OP
OP
veselym

veselym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I should have them in QT but they were purchased from LA DD...kind of upset considering they are suppose to QT their fish, I get having ICH but flukes from DD??

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I should have them in QT but they were purchased from LA DD...kind of upset considering they are suppose to QT their fish, I get having ICH but flukes from DD??

LA DD soaks fish food with Prazipro, which probably kills flukes but not any eggs. So, they just come right back. You have to treat with Prazi again, 5-7 days after the initial dosage, to eradicate the "next generation" of flukes before they have time to lay eggs of their own.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 91 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 71 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 33 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back