Fluval PS1 skimmer and minimizing the noise.

match69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to All,
I noticed before buying the M90 that people had noise problems with the PS1 skimmer. Having now got my M90 I found that the pump assembly inside the skimmer housing is setting up a sympathetic resonance in the tank and cabinet. My first attempt at a fix was to open up the housing and wedge a piece of polystyrene either side of the pump. This worked but the poly was colored green and so I couldn't guarantee it to be reef safe. A trip to my lfs and I found a pack of two small filter pads (Aqua One 54s) that looked like they would fit. Having carried out the mod I can say that the skimmer is now a lot quieter than the cp3.

To clarify. You split the skimmer housing making sure the inlet hole is at the bottom; this makes it easier later. Lift out the pump, put the piece of filter, or whatever you are using, into the groove beneath the pump then click the pump back into place making sure the inlet pipe is located in the hole of the housing. Put the other pad in the groove of the other half of the housing and clip both halves together by pressing on the suction cup pins or the suckers; I only use the bottom suction cup and the mounting bracket.
I hope this helps.
Regards,
Mark.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 190 73.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.6%
Back