Flying with a dog

JackDE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am flying to Fl to pickup a puppy that I purchased from a breeder. I am flying on Delta and am told that the dog's carrier will be under the seat.

Any hints or tips that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. I am really wondering if the dog carrier will be completely under the seat in front of me or just sitting at my feet?

Also my carrier is 3 inches bigger than I was told but I am thinking it will be fine since it is soft and can be smashed down.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you arrange everything with the airline ahead of time and get it in writing. Get to the airport way earlier than you need to.

OP
OP
JackDE

JackDE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you arrange everything with the airline ahead of time and get it in writing. Get to the airport way earlier than you need to.

Okay. I did arrange with the airline but I will call them and have them email me a confirmation.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! Wouldn't be the first time the people at the airport and the people on the phone disagree on something :)

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ha ha hope it is a small dog.. under the seat have to laugh.
You know I have flown on a few flights where people had there dogs, and they were so much better than the kids :)

Squirrel_reefer

Call me Squirrel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since it is soft and can be smashed down.

Im sorry but I had to laugh at this, you're talking about carrying and animal in this bag and then smashing it into a cramped little space, and its a puppy... aka big ball of hyperactive energy

best of luck to you my friend

OP
OP
JackDE

JackDE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry but I had to laugh at this, you're talking about carrying and animal in this bag and then smashing it into a cramped little space, and its a puppy... aka big ball of hyperactive energy best of luck to you my friend

The bag hold dogs up to 20 lbs. The puppy will only be about 5 lbs so I'm not worried about his space in the bag if I smash it 3 inches length wise. I am only worried that the bag will fit in the allotted space. The width and height will still be plenty big enough.

OP
OP
JackDE

JackDE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The breeder told me that she will tire him out before my flight so he should sleep the entire time. Of course it'll be my luck that he won't. I am super nervous but the alternative is flying him with the cargo and I feel like that would be worse.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The breeder told me that she will tire him out before my flight so he should sleep the entire time. Of course it'll be my luck that he won't. I am super nervous but the alternative is flying him with the cargo and I feel like that would be worse.
You'll be fine. Most people hold carrier on their lap and let the dog peek out once the plane is in the air anyway. Don't put it with cargo! Too many horror stories.

Cute dog btw!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a cutie, congrats and good luck. :)

roboshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have not already, you can bring some toys (not squeakers!) for it to have so it will feel more comfortable. You might want to bring napkins if it has an accident as well.

OP
OP
JackDE

JackDE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually just told that the length is what sticks out toward you from under the seat so it will be fine anyways, it will just stick out 3 inches.

OP
OP
JackDE

JackDE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have not already, you can bring some toys (not squeakers!) for it to have so it will feel more comfortable. You might want to bring napkins if it has an accident as well.

Thank you, I didn't consider toys but will pack a few. I will bring potty pads and pet wipes to clean him up if he has an accident.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not until Feb 22nd he'll be 10 weeks old then
Check with the airline if you will need a health certificate, and then get one anyway.

A health certificate is filled out by a Veterinarian and says the puppy is healthy enough to fly, it's usually needed to cross state lines.

I have dealt with people told they wouldn't need one, then not allowed to board without it.

The breeder could probably get one ahead of time, they are good for travel for 10 days after they are completed.

Congrats on the new puppy!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 112 74.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back