Food types Shifting the Nitrate/Phosphate Balance

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id like to know what you guys use to nudge around the balance of nitrate and phosphate when they start to get out of desired bands?

What food additives to you use to bring phosphate up without increasing nitrate as much?

I have found that to be decent at moving phosphate up as well as reef roids. In a pinch Tri Sodium Phosphate. As a regular food Herbivore Frenzy food also kicks up phosphate pretty high (to the point that its actually a problem for daily feeding.

When you need to go the other way what do you use to bring nitrate up without spiking phosphate?

I usually like to feed with benepets for this but also I've been using a direct addition of sodium nitrate. Feeding mysis shrimp seems to keep phosphate down as well. I used to have pretty good luck with futility frenzy food it seemed to keep phosphates quite reasonable as well.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aminos for nitrate, spirulina powder for phosphate. Spirulina powder can skyrocket your phoshates lol.

However, I really prefer just dosing nitrate or phosphate if they are too low as its a quick fix.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.7%
Back