Fork in the road - Current USA & new tank

First-time Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I'm looking for some advice and pointers from those who have been down a similar path. I've had a Fluval Evo 13.5 setup for about 10 months and its been a lot of fun (even with the ups and downs). I recently purchased the newest Current USA orbit marine light with the Bluetooth hub. The light seems a little under powered, but I like the spectrum and it's programming capabilities (I haven't owned an AI Prime or a Kessil before so I can't really compare).

I am prepping a future build - I just picked up a 35 gallon reef ready rimless cube (20" x 20" x 20"). Enter the fork in the road. Do I keep with the Current USA light and add a second light fixture for the new tank? If so I would plan to utilize the hub for the return pump and wave pump(s). Or do I go a different route with a light, return pump, and wave pumps?

Anyone out there with the Current USA setup regret it? Any info helps guys and gals. Thanks

liam’s little reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a fluval evo v for a little over a year and had the current USA orbit. All I can say is that it wasn’t really doing it for me. Even with such a small tank and a sizable light, my corals never looked or grew great. Considering that you are upgrading to a 20” cube, you will probably need two orbits to get any coral growth or popping colors. IMO, you would be better off selling your orbit and upgrading to a higher powered light.

OP
OP
First-time Reefer

First-time Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. Very helpful. I think I've been trying to convince myself that the Current Orbit was a good buy. If anything, now I know that it is not ideal.

Trylobyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the Orbit Marine LED or the Orbit Marine IC LED? I have the IC LED on a 26 gallon bowfront (higher than your cube) and mine grow all of my zoas, euphilias, gsp, and duncans excellent. My settings are 100% blue, 30% white, 10% R&G with a 10 hour cycles (lunar is set to 3). Of course if you're want to grow SPS you're going to need something more powerful, but if you're sticking with softies, LPS and such those lights will be sufficient.

NeptuneRjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the current orbit ic pro (two leds) and it was able to keep my lps and zoas alive at the bottom of my tank (20 inches) along with some zoas. I ended up switched to 2 ai prime 16's ultimately to grow sps although the current orbit were keeping a red monti frag alive and VERY slowly growing. The current orbit is a good light for softies and lps in shorter tanks and keep in mind their par measurements are at 100% for all channels.

OP
OP
First-time Reefer

First-time Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the Orbit Marine LED or the Orbit Marine IC LED? I have the IC LED on a 26 gallon bowfront (higher than your cube) and mine grow all of my zoas, euphilias, gsp, and duncans excellent. My settings are 100% blue, 30% white, 10% R&G with a 10 hour cycles (lunar is set to 3). Of course if you're want to grow SPS you're going to need something more powerful, but if you're sticking with softies, LPS and such those lights will be sufficient.
I have the IC. I currently only have lps and softies, but I was planning a mixed reef for the 35 gallon.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back