Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 48 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 186 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 13 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.5%

• Total voters

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way back when I was an aquarium tech for a lfs, I would remove a portion of the dead coral skeletons and bleach them white again. That is just what we did in a lot of FOWLR tanks. Anyway, I had to rescape the tank probably 4Xs a year. Multiply that by 25+ tanks and it added up to a lot of aquascaping. I did that a number of years and got pretty good at it. So even now when I have coral, for me the aquascape is primary.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went overboard with my first two tanks when making the rock scape. After about 5 years in I realized the end goal was to have a tank filled with corals and the rock now acts as real estate for my corals.

If things are going right you wont see them after a year or two. Even archways and canyons vanished as my corals grew to massive sizes. The best rock work now is a tiered platform towards the back of the tank almost like stadium seating so I can have rows and depth of SPS colonies.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s my first tank and tried to keep fish in mind when building the aquascape but also wanted it to look good. It’s also has plenty of room for some corals.

This is good for a fish only tank but if you manage to have success with corals then you're going to wish you didn't have such drastic vertical formations. SPS on the top will overshadow everything underneath and you will have bare rock towers with corals above.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 173 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.0%
Back