Found small worm crawling on coral, not sure if bad or good

Mortimer452

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic below, sorry for the poor quality. Found this guy on my GSP frag today, dark red/purple with white stripes, he's pretty small about the size of a pencil lead, maybe 2mm across and 30mm long. Slithered off into the rocks right after taking this pic.

Flatworm of some type? Should I try and remove it or leave him be?

20240323_165453.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mortimer452

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the time I took the pic I actually just thought it was a growth or scar on the coral, didn't even realize what it was until it started moving! The color almost exactly matches the GSP

OP
OP
M

Mortimer452

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks pretty much just like the first photo here (but smaller probably), but not much information in the link on that specific species. It's definitely a worm not a starfish arm, I saw both ends of it as it slithered off the coral.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pic below, sorry for the poor quality. Found this guy on my GSP frag today, dark red/purple with white stripes, he's pretty small about the size of a pencil lead, maybe 2mm across and 30mm long. Slithered off into the rocks right after taking this pic.

Flatworm of some type? Should I try and remove it or leave him be?

20240323_165453.jpg
Body too long to be a peanut but looks like an Autolytinae worm which is a member of the syllidae group and eats uneaten food but can also turn on other clean up crew. Not worth the risk And I would eliminate it or place in sump to feed on detritus

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks pretty much just like the first photo here (but smaller probably), but not much information in the link on that specific species. It's definitely a worm not a starfish arm, I saw both ends of it as it slithered off the coral.
I actually think you're right here about this being a ribbon worm - it's not a Syllid worm as it doesn't have the bristles found on polychaetes, and the striping heavier/more consistent than I'd expect from a peanut worm (though some could potentially look like what's visible in the pic).
Probably a ribbon worm (Nemertean) of some kind, but seeing its proboscis everted could confirm that. Ribbon worms are predatory. They hunt using toxins they secrete through their skin and proboscis - don't touch them barehanded:

"Certain nemertean species are known to contain remarkably potent toxins: pyridine alkaloids, tetrodotoxin (TTX), and cytolytic or neurotoxic peptides."*

(For the record, tetrodotoxin is what makes pufferfish lethal when ingested).

Anyway, if it's a big one, you would want to remove it.

*Source:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back