Fox Face Not Eating

epistemelojik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a fox face fish for about a month. Last week the clownfish became velvet and I quarantined them all but they are dead. She hasn't eaten at Fox face for a week, she loved and ate garlic-based baits, she doesn't even eat herbivorous bait. What would be the reason ? There does not appear to be any problem in appearance.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have had a fox face fish for about a month. Last week the clownfish became velvet and I quarantined them all but they are dead. She hasn't eaten at Fox face for a week, she loved and ate garlic-based baits, she doesn't even eat herbivorous bait. What would be the reason ? There does not appear to be any problem in appearance.
Can use a video of at least 25 seconds under white lighting or pics. Need more info-

Is it breathing normal or labored?
Are eyes clear or cloudy?
What foods were you offering with garlic?

OP
OP
E

epistemelojik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can use a video of at least 25 seconds under white lighting or pics. Need more info-

Is it breathing normal or labored?
Are eyes clear or cloudy?
What foods were you offering with garlic?
His eyes were normal during the day, and when he was camouflaged at night, he was doing this all the time, as if they were hazy. His breathing is normal. I use garlic bait as bait and flake food, sometimes frozen fodder.

My Fox Face Video

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His eyes were normal during the day, and when he was camouflaged at night, he was doing this all the time, as if they were hazy. His breathing is normal. I use garlic bait as bait and flake food, sometimes frozen fodder.

Rapid breathing can be subtle. If you post a short video under white light, I can take a count and compare it against normal fish of that species.

My worry here is that if the clownfish had velvet (which causes rapid breathing as the main symptom) that your foxface may also be developing the same problem.

Have you seen the foxface flash (scratch) on surfaces in the tank? That can be a sign of flukes, a worm infection. That can also cause rapid breathing, but not always (depending on the species of worm involved.)

Are there any other fish in the tank? Are they o.k.?

Nothing else in your post suggests any issues, so we have to keep digging to try and determine the problem.

Jay

OP
OP
E

epistemelojik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rapid breathing can be subtle. If you post a short video under white light, I can take a count and compare it against normal fish of that species.

My worry here is that if the clownfish had velvet (which causes rapid breathing as the main symptom) that your foxface may also be developing the same problem.

Have you seen the foxface flash (scratch) on surfaces in the tank? That can be a sign of flukes, a worm infection. That can also cause rapid breathing, but not always (depending on the species of worm involved.)

Are there any other fish in the tank? Are they o.k.?

Nothing else in your post suggests any issues, so we have to keep digging to try and determine the problem.

Jay
My Fox Face Video

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Overall, foxface shows normal behavior and has good body weight. breathing appears normal but hard to see skin as I think I see little bumps or velvet but not positive.
The velvet you see, can you post a couple of still pictures? The lighting used is good

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If she ate well then all of a sudden stopped, combined with a known infection of the velvet parasite, Id be leaning towards at least, early infection, this parasite quickly kills.
Maybe she needs to be QT and treated.

Or you can wait, but she’s got to eat.
At least, be ready to move her quickly if things go south.

Looks somewhat easy to get her out.

OP
OP
E

epistemelojik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If she ate well then all of a sudden stopped, combined with a known infection of the velvet parasite, Id be leaning towards at least, early infection, this parasite quickly kills.
Maybe she needs to be QT and treated.

Or you can wait, but she’s got to eat.

Looks somewhat easy to get her out.
I will start the cauliflower diet tomorrow.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So if this fish dies, how many days should I wait to add new fish?
At least 14 days to assure no other fish develops symptoms. This fish is far from dead.
Some foods to offer are: Mysis shrimp, chopped shrimp-scallops and non-fatty fisg, spirulina brine shrimp as well as small plankton and fish does not need all that garlic- add a few drops to food every 2-3 days. Garlic helps immune system.

OP
OP
E

epistemelojik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least 14 days to assure no other fish develops symptoms. This fish is far from dead.
Some foods to offer are: Mysis shrimp, chopped shrimp-scallops and non-fatty fisg, spirulina brine shrimp as well as small plankton and fish does not need all that garlic- add a few drops to food every 2-3 days. Garlic helps immune system.
I will wait 30 days if he dies, yes I will try to feed him shrimp. Thank you

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I will wait 30 days if he dies, yes I will try to feed him shrimp. Thank you
Sorry for the many confusing replies- Give it good water quality and diet and it should be fine.
Can you see little bumps on its skin?

If velvet, you will see lethargic behavior, Loss of appetite and weight loss, Rapid, labored breathing, Fins clamped against the body, and typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in your tank.
For your country, you can use waterlife Myxazin or coppersafe for treatment

OP
OP
E

epistemelojik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the many confusing replies- Give it good water quality and diet and it should be fine.
Can you see little bumps on its skin?

If velvet, you will see lethargic behavior, Loss of appetite and weight loss, Rapid, labored breathing, Fins clamped against the body, and typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in your tank.
For your country, you can use waterlife Myxazin or coppersafe for treatment
So I don't see any negatives. Their movements are normal and stable. The whiteness on the wings was there 1 month ago.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The foxface is breathing too fast and has cloudy skin (seen on the pectoral fins/wings). It has some infection - probably velvet, but it could be Brooklynella.

I would treat with coppersafe in a treatment tank with no calcium rocks in it.

Jay

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 202 71.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back