Frag Disk

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know it anyone has done this but I'm also a Chalice lover and needed some frag disks for them to grow on. I got some AquaForest, not a vendor, Stone Fix. It's a type of cement for saltwater aquariums aquascaping. A light bulb went off, seldom happens, and I started a little experiment. I got a small Glad food container and tried mixing the Stone Fix in it. After a few tries I figured out the right amount for a solid disk that wouldn't breakup. So here is what I did if anyone is in the same boat.

1. Mix and cup.
2. For the thickness I wanted @ 3/4", 7 teaspoons of mix.
3. @ 5 teaspoons of water. Shake it for a few minutes to work the bubbles out.
4. Let it sit until it becomes solid but soft enough to ream out space for a frag plug.
5. Let it sit over night to cure.
6. I put the disk in some saltwater to make sure it will not crumble.
Now there is a disk that your Chalice or other will love;)

Disk 4.jpg

Dish 5.jpg

Disk 6.jpg

Disk 7.jpg

Disk 8.jpg

Disk 9.jpg

Disk 2.jpg

Disk 3.jpg

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, just tripped across this thread... pretty nice Salty! So you have the addiction of the chalice eh (me too)... so please do tell about your chalices and their development :D

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my chalices are from Joe, I figure if you're going to have slow growing corals you may as well have the best. I started playing with these to get something that they could grow over or out of. Also gives me a better foundation to frag from if I ever decide to. So far they have stayed together well and keep the chalices from have so much sand blown on them, higher up off the sand bed. Now just have to be patient and let them grow:)

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never purchased from Joe, but truthfully he's so close to us,and as a family I make the trip to Charleston at least once per year, I need to stop and see him. I've got a chalice that a vendor / sponsor sold to me as Joe's Bubonic Plague, but truthfully it looks like Ultimate arrier. Someday I need to figure it out. If it's happy it's the brightest piece in my tank, but it's currently be picked to death by my troubling Coral Beauty.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wondering if you could use a larger flatter bowl...I need something fairly large for acans to grow out on...
What do you think?

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wondering if you could use a larger flatter bowl...I need something fairly large for acans to grow out on...
What do you think?
It should work, just make sure to make it thick enough. I also bake mine @375 for 10-15 mins. It seems to make them a lot stronger. Be sure to post it if you decide to make them so everyone can learn from it.
Thx

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never purchased from Joe, but truthfully he's so close to us,and as a family I make the trip to Charleston at least once per year, I need to stop and see him. I've got a chalice that a vendor / sponsor sold to me as Joe's Bubonic Plague, but truthfully it looks like Ultimate arrier. Someday I need to figure it out. If it's happy it's the brightest piece in my tank, but it's currently be picked to death by my troubling Coral Beauty.
Shoot Joe a pic here and he can tell you for sure. I'd also like to see it. I have a small frag that's starting to color up nicely.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should work, just make sure to make it thick enough. I also bake mine @375 for 10-15 mins. It seems to make them a lot stronger. Be sure to post it if you decide to make them so everyone can learn from it.
Thx
:) If I make one Ill definitely post about it. Im hesitant to make my own though. I definitely need something that I can cut along with the skeletons

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) If I make one Ill definitely post about it. Im hesitant to make my own though. I definitely need something that I can cut along with the skeletons
Mine can be cut, that's one of the reasons I'm using them.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back