Frag swap coral carrier

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Threw together a tiered frag/coral carrier that fits in a 5 gallon bucket for the upcoming #CTARS fragtoberfest and figured I'd share a few pics as well as a little tutorial.
First I cut some egg crate down to 16x9" pieces
IMG_7932.JPG

Next I used a Dremmel to cut out the + at each corner
IMG_7936.JPG
IMG_7934.JPG
IMG_7935.JPG

The hole size is the exact diameter to fit a length of 3/4 PVC so I used some scrap to test fit. I trimmed the corner on the bottom shelf so it could sit lower in the bucket.
IMG_7928.JPG

This rack leaves plenty of room on either side for a heater and circulation pump
IMG_7933.JPG
IMG_7929.JPG

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice as fun and half the cost haha...usually

Agreed! I was scrolling through some old photos from when I was building everything and getting things going on my system and it got me reminiscing hard. Maybe I need a new DIY reef project!

OP
OP
Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! I was scrolling through some old photos from when I was building everything and getting things going on my system and it got me reminiscing hard. Maybe I need a new DIY reef project!
Theres always something new to try. Maybe look into plumbing a wastewater drain on your tank to make water changes easier

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan@ShelteredReef I actually like the idea to create a platform for my Vertex Skimmer. I have a several layers of egg crate zip-tied together but the 4 corners with pvc much nicer. Thx!

OP
OP
Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan@ShelteredReef I actually like the idea to create a platform for my Vertex Skimmer. I have a several layers of egg crate zip-tied together but the 4 corners with pvc much nicer. Thx!
For that you might be better off drilling a couple of holes 1/4-1/2inch from the top of some 1.5" PVC and then thread zip ties through the holes and the egg crate so it can rest on top of the pipe. That way you don't have to worry about the legs twisting or the shelf sliding down the PVC. That's how we did our frag trays at the shop.

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that you might be better off drilling a couple of holes 1/4-1/2inch from the top of some 1.5" PVC and then thread zip ties through the holes and the egg crate so it can rest on top of the pipe. That way you don't have to worry about the legs twisting or the shelf sliding down the PVC. That's how we did our frag trays at the shop.

My thought was to crazy glue the pvc in the corner cutouts but this is an option also.

OP
OP
Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of something like this but using fittings a the spacers
That was my original plan as well. The friction is enough that the shelves actually stay in place and I like that I can just slide them up or down depending on the height of the corals

OP
OP
Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great idea What kind of circulation pump do you use that works on the go?
This is more intended for holding some pieces to restock whats in the frag tanks as frags are sold. It'll work well for a show that you can drive to. The circulation and heat is for when you get to the event. That way when you add the new frags to the display, they're already in water thats around the same temperature. The circulation keeps the corals clear of any mucus and helps keep O2 levels higher.

Jo P White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is more intended for holding some pieces to restock whats in the frag tanks as frags are sold. It'll work well for a show that you can drive to. The circulation and heat is for when you get to the event. That way when you add the new frags to the display, they're already in water thats around the same temperature. The circulation keeps the corals clear of any mucus and helps keep O2 levels higher.
Thanks, was thinking ahead to next year when I’ll be driving up to Orlando from Fort Lauderdale where they’ll hopefully have the show again. Neat idea for your needs! I’ve seen some little travel carriers that look like CD cases but thought what you’d come up with was a nice DIY.

OP
OP
Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, was thinking ahead to next year when I’ll be driving up to Orlando from Fort Lauderdale where they’ll hopefully have the show again. Neat idea for your needs! I’ve seen some little travel carriers that look like CD cases but thought what you’d come up with was a nice DIY.
We also like to bring our own water so can kill two birds with one stone by bringing the corals in a couple of the 5 gallon buckets. We're hoping to make it to RAP Orlando next year as well. Maybe we'll see you there

Jo P White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We also like to bring our own water so can kill two birds with one stone by bringing the corals in a couple of the 5 gallon buckets. We're hoping to make it to RAP Orlando next year as well. Maybe we'll see you there
That be great. It’d be our first show. I’ve had a 28g Nano for about 8 years and started up a 90g in July so I’ve been looking forward to getting some awesome corals in the tank.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just use a bait pump for the travel time and your bumps and turns will give you circulation... and i was thinking with a center support style you make holes in the bottom and put the bubbler inside the pipe and it will pull the water from the bottom and O out the top with the flow of the bubbles and limit bubbles getting on the corals...

OP
OP
Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just use a bait pump for the travel time and your bumps and turns will give you circulation... and i was thinking with a center support style you make holes in the bottom and put the bubbler inside the pipe and it will pull the water from the bottom and O out the top with the flow of the bubbles and limit bubbles getting on the corals...
Thats a great idea! Basically a mini airlift pump. You could run it with just a battery powered air pump. The only concern would be temperature as the air being pumped into the bucket would either cool or warm the water depending on the ambient air temp.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urea i
Thats a great idea! Basically a mini airlift pump. You could run it with just a battery powered air pump. The only concern would be temperature as the air being pumped into the bucket would either cool or warm the water depending on the ambient air temp.
didn't think about that...

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you found the racks stay in place ok? Or did you have to use some glue to get them to stay in once place and prevent one rack from falling onto another?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back