Fragging 101 I Goniopora

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the details and a great video @mikejrice. Thank you for sharing. How long do the frags take to heal and start growing? I lost one green Goniopora frag. It was white all around the base, so seems like a fresh cut. It was a 1 inch frag. The polyps retracted and slowly receded.

OP
OP
mikejrice

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the details and a great video @mikejrice. Thank you for sharing. How long do the frags take to heal and start growing? I lost one green Goniopora frag. It was white all around the base, so seems like a fresh cut. It was a 1 inch frag. The polyps retracted and slowly receded.
It can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months for them to heal and begin showing new growth along the fresh edges. That said, green goniopora is a completely different animal, literally, from the red one I cut in the video. They are very nearly impossible to keep, and cutting them is often the beginning of them receding. It's unlikely that there's anything realistic you could have done especially if it was a fresh cut as they heal much better in the water they were in when cut.

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months for them to heal and begin showing new growth along the fresh edges. That said, green goniopora is a completely different animal, literally, from the red one I cut in the video. They are very nearly impossible to keep, and cutting them is often the beginning of them receding. It's unlikely that there's anything realistic you could have done especially if it was a fresh cut as they heal much better in the water they were in when cut.

Good to know. I could not figure out what I was doing wrong. I would feed both the pink and green. Pink is thriving while Green receded.

OP
OP
mikejrice

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I could not figure out what I was doing wrong. I would feed both the pink and green. Pink is thriving while Green receded.
Exactly the outcome most reef systems would see. The green ones are tough.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 98 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 49.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.4%
Back