Frog Fish Unwell

magicSmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frogfish was not interested in eating yesterday which was unusual for him. He eats a small peace of frozen silversides once or twice a week. Today, we came home to find what looks like his eye to be swollen shut and maybe some kind of fungus growing around his face and lips? (See pictures below). It doesn't look spotty like Velvet though. His tail looks a little jagged which typically leads me to believe ammonia spike, but that hasn't been an issue either.

He has been healthy up to this point and nothing new other than snails have been added to his tank. All tank parameters are within normal values including ammonia.

This is my first time posting in this section of reef2reef so please let me know if I'm missing information

20231225_120657.jpg 20231225_121509.jpg 20231225_121454.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While fish does not have to eat every day, it’s a sign involving either water quality or issue with fluke, constipation or just simply full

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frogfish was not interested in eating yesterday which was unusual for him. He eats a small peace of frozen silversides once or twice a week. Today, we came home to find what looks like his eye to be swollen shut and maybe some kind of fungus growing around his face and lips? (See pictures below). It doesn't look spotty like Velvet though. His tail looks a little jagged which typically leads me to believe ammonia spike, but that hasn't been an issue either.

He has been healthy up to this point and nothing new other than snails have been added to his tank. All tank parameters are within normal values including ammonia.

This is my first time posting in this section of reef2reef so please let me know if I'm missing information

20231225_120657.jpg 20231225_121509.jpg 20231225_121454.jpg
How long have you had the fish?
What brand of silversides are you feeding?
Does it get anything else in its diet?
Just one eye is swollen?
Any chance it is an injury?

Jay

OP
OP
M

magicSmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the fish?
What brand of silversides are you feeding?
Does it get anything else in its diet?
Just one eye is swollen?
Any chance it is an injury?

Jay
- We've had him for about 3 months. He was imported about 5 months ago and showed no signs of illness other than stress coloration when he first came in. (I was working at the LFS when he came in, so I had a pretty close eye on him since import). He never went through full QT, but was living in copper dosed water while at the LFS.
- I believe it's San Francisco Bay brand silversides.
- Fed mainly silversides with San Francisco bay krill every so often.
- just one eye is swollen with gray coloration around the eye and lips. Other half of face looks fine. I'll try and get a better picture when I am home.
- Possibility of injury, but I'm not sure how to recognize it. I don't see any scratches or damages to the skin other than the gray coloration.

Also, just to provide additional information, he spends most of the day either in his cave or floating around. Occasionally with his dangle out, but I haven't seen him hunting like that recently. At night, he mostly floats at the surface? I was worried he wasn't getting enough oxygen as the tank has a glass lid so I increased surface agitation 3 or 4 weeks ago. He was gulping air occasionally at the surface until I made this change.

OP
OP
M

magicSmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How mature is the system??
Tank has been setup for 3ish months. I set it up a few days before we brought him home but I used live rock and sand from another well established tank we have. I've been monitoring ammonia levels but I haven't seen any spikes. I do a water change about once a month mostly to replenish trace elements for the couple corals in there. Nitrates and Phosphates are pretty well managed by the Prolifera Caulerpa in the back. It's growing incredibly well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- We've had him for about 3 months. He was imported about 5 months ago and showed no signs of illness other than stress coloration when he first came in. (I was working at the LFS when he came in, so I had a pretty close eye on him since import). He never went through full QT, but was living in copper dosed water while at the LFS.
- I believe it's San Francisco Bay brand silversides.
- Fed mainly silversides with San Francisco bay krill every so often.
- just one eye is swollen with gray coloration around the eye and lips. Other half of face looks fine. I'll try and get a better picture when I am home.
- Possibility of injury, but I'm not sure how to recognize it. I don't see any scratches or damages to the skin other than the gray coloration.

Also, just to provide additional information, he spends most of the day either in his cave or floating around. Occasionally with his dangle out, but I haven't seen him hunting like that recently. At night, he mostly floats at the surface? I was worried he wasn't getting enough oxygen as the tank has a glass lid so I increased surface agitation 3 or 4 weeks ago. He was gulping air occasionally at the surface until I made this change.
Glass lids on tanks can be tricky - you need to have some way to bring in outside air, else the air under the lid will have high CO2. You can tell if this is an issue as the tank will show a chronically low pH. This may not be the issue here, but you need to rule it out.
The type of silversides you are feeding is one of the best types in terms of not having thiaminase in it:
Sorry - I can only rule those issues out for you, can’t really say what other issues there may be….

Jay

Rodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did he end up dying? Because the tail being jagged happened when mine died

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back