Frogfish ich?

basscataz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help identifying if my wartskin frogfish has an insidious disease. I suspect he has ich, and I've prepped a quarantine tank for a hyposalinity treatment in anticipation. Any ideas? He's in a 20 gallon, phosphate is high, but all parameters are good otherwise.
received_10155703005119753.jpeg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what that is, the #reefsquad might be able to help!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a clearer picture of the white areas? Its not an over abundance of the spinules they have to blend in with corals? Ive only seen them the lfs so not an expert on them in the slightest.
bc8e1503bc0979882130ab944329b51d.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what could be ich, but I simply don't have enough experience with these fish to know for sure. I'm not sure if @Lionfish Lair is around today, but she would be a good resource for this one. I'd also, of course, show @Humblefish this one.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be of no use either, but they are fascinating creatures

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a great picture, but the way they camo,it's almost impossible to tell.You more or less need to watch it's behavior. Does it chafe or dart around to dislodge parasites.Even then it's hard to tell because they dart to get rid of old skin, shed like lionfish.

OP
OP
basscataz

basscataz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There hasn't been any scratching at all. He's gotten a bit picky when it comes to eating, but he always does that after I feed him live food (I mainly feed frozen). As far as lethargy goes, he's as lazy as he's always been lol. But he still roams the tank and whatnot. Definitely my favorite fish.

I'll PM those people for some more perspective. Thanks guys!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry we can't be of better assistance. But I don't want to tell you to start treating for ich/velvet unless we are sure. I also don't think frogfish tolerate copper well, so hypo or TTM would be your best options for ich; CP for velvet.

OP
OP
basscataz

basscataz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry we can't be of better assistance. But I don't want to tell you to start treating for ich/velvet unless we are sure. I also don't think frogfish tolerate copper well, so hypo or TTM would be your best options for ich; CP for velvet.
You guys have been invaluable. I was ready to treat and thought I'd make a thread to see if I was being paranoid or not. There hasn't been any behavioural changes, definitely no chafing or darting. So idk. I have a hospital tank ready for hypo running just in case. I know frogfish are sensitive to copper, but are they as sensitive to CP too?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%

Back