Fungus type stuff on rocks?

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, i bought all dry rocks and sand, and started the cycling using amminium chloride. Its been 12days, and i saw some fungus type stuff growing on few rocks.

Is it ok or should i be worried?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could??? be a lil bacterial colony, but id have to bet on dead sponge still.
Tears like cotton or dissolves?

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im still goin sponge, how long has the rock been dead. it looks to me like a lotta cool old stuff on it.

sup frop

How's it going? I have my RO/DI mounted. Will be making water by the weekend.

As far as the thread goes, I have something that looks a little similar in texture but much more tiny and inside my rocks. I've seen it in 2-3 spots. It's about as long as an eraser on a mechanical pencil and a little smaller in diameter. I never touched it. lol Didn't know if it related to this.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock has been dead since past 6mnths, bone dry. Then i washed and removed stuff as much as i cud.
yea ya did it right. I still kinda go with its got a lott funk good stuff on there, "organics" those are going to rot, make ammonia for you, and put the rock off to a good start.
Imo, dont freak out cuz I think the nitrates will get a bit high in the next couple months. but I think that's good fertiliser. Bacteria eat up that stuff.
If you dose vinegar soon You might get a bacteria bloom. you can do it but keep animals out of the tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it going? I have my RO/DI mounted. Will be making water by the weekend.

As far as the thread goes, I have something that looks a little similar in texture but much more tiny and inside my rocks. I've seen it in 2-3 spots. It's about as long as an eraser on a mechanical pencil and a little smaller in diameter. I never touched it. lol Didn't know if it related to this.
touch it bwhahahaha

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea ya did it right. I still kinda go with its got a lott funk good stuff on there, "organics" those are going to rot, make ammonia for you, and put the rock off to a good start.
Imo, dont freak out cuz I think the nitrates will get a bit high in the next couple months. but I think that's good fertiliser. Bacteria eat up that stuff.
If you dose vinegar soon You might get a bacteria bloom. you can do it but keep animals out of the tank.
Yea, its been 12days, ammo is now 0, nitrite is 10+ and no3 is 50+

Was plannin to add vinegar, but i guess ill wait for another week n measure. Once nitrite is 0 and no3 comes to 40 i might. Lets see.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, its been 12days, ammo is now 0, nitrite is 10+ and no3 is 50+

Was plannin to add vinegar, but i guess ill wait for another week n measure. Once nitrite is 0 and no3 comes to 40 i might. Lets see.
Yup. It's prob still gonna be month if ya started today. Speed cycling is weird esp with old funk in the tank. Yea it cycles enough for fish poo but the rock rotting is kinda toxic.
See how it goes.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. It's prob still gonna be month if ya started today. Speed cycling is weird esp with old funk in the tank. Yea it cycles enough for fish poo but the rock rotting is kinda toxic.
See how it goes.
Yea, 30days minimum cycle time i gave always. Keeping fingers crossed..

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back