fuzzy white cotton growth on angel

kingkai512

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently running quick ich x(formalin) to treat brooklynella on an infected qt tank. i noticed 2 fish with visible brook symptoms, one damsel and one juvie blue ring angel.

it has been 2 days since i started treatment and the fish are looking clear except the angel. he has been developing a strange fuzzy patch near his tail and it seems to be growing. its white and looks like cotton was stuck to him. could it be fungal? bacteria?

some interesting backstory: he was in a different tank running prazipro to treat for possible flukes(which i now know was brook) but did not airate the tank properly and it removed the oxygen. i believe that was the side he was laying on when i found him gasping for air(almost lost him) so it could be from the sore that he got from laying down for an extended period of time.
20180915_105535.jpg
20180915_105615.jpg

20180915_105621.jpg

Ghost463

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like a soar or a small injury that is going wrong.
Thats a beauty angel!
I am not sure an ich treatment is the answer here. Personally i would go for an antibacterial.
One of the old school ones that i use in my qt tanks is methalene blue.
Please check the thread on treatments though. I think angels may be more sensitive to that type of treatment.

OP
OP
kingkai512

kingkai512

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should i scrape it off and move it to a new tank to treat for bacterial infection? it doesnt look red anywhere

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that was my fish, It's beautiful by the way, I'd give it a bath in Ruby Reef Rally or if that's a QT that it is in, treat the tank with RRR. It has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities that are very effective and yet mild on the fish. Do you have a powerhead in the tank aimed up at the surface actively rippling the surface water?

Do you have wide spectrum antibiotics like Kanaplex, Furan2, NFG, Sulfaplex (Triple Sulfa), Neoplex on hand just in case you need to ramp up the antibiotic regimen?

OP
OP
kingkai512

kingkai512

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well he was laying on the bottom due to lack of oxygen because of the prazipro, but i caught him just in time and moved him to a new qt.
the new qt has several airstones and a hob filter to provide more oxygen. i am not 100% sure that was the side he was laying on..

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the RRR is a first step. Keep a close eye on the area. "White-ish" areas should always be looked upon with suspicion. Here's Humblefish's treatment advisory for bacterial infections:

Bacterial infections:

Symptoms - Sometimes it's self-describing: Popeye/cloudy eyes, fin & tail rot, dropsy (bloated fish), etc. But some other bacterial infections, such as furunculosis, hemorrhagic septicemia, etc., can have varying visible symptoms. Any redness or open sores/wounds on a fish should be viewed with suspicion. Also, a white film or fungus-looking growth may denote a bacterial infection. It’s important to note that in many cases a bacterial infection is usually secondary in nature to a parasitic infestation such as ich, meaning if a fish has been battling ich for a while then his immune system has been lowered. This makes infection more likely for many opportunistic, harmful bacteria.

Treatment options - Broad spectrum antibiotic medication i.e. one that treats both gram-positive and gram-negative bacterial diseases. Examples of this include Furan-2, Kanamycin aka Seachem Kanaplex, Nitrofuracin Green Powder, Triple Sulfa Powder, or a combination of using both Erythromycin & Minocycline. The latter can be accomplished (albeit expensively) by using freshwater Maracyn 1 & 2 and then doubling the dosage for saltwater use. When battling a particularly nasty bacterial infection, combining Furan-2, Kanaplex and metronidazole (ex. Seachem MetroPlex) can be very effective (and safe).

OP
OP
kingkai512

kingkai512

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you know if i can use any of these medications with quick ich x? bottle says not to use any other medications with it but i still want to continue with quick ich x for a couple more days, to deal with the brook.

ducks4rob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if that's lymphocytes, but it sure looks like it. Here's a picture of my swallowtail angel and she's the best eater and rules the roost. 20180915_114517.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing meds without specific instructions is very risky. Especially when this product contains 22% Formalin. That's strong stuff.
do you know if i can use any of these medications with quick ich x? bottle says not to use any other medications with it but i still want to continue with quick ich x for a couple more days, to deal with the brook.

brwaldbaum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've used formalin and a variety of antibiotics together on both fresh- and saltwater fish without issue. As always, your mileage may vary.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 46 76.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back