FW dip recovery time

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this. Have you treated with prazi yet? I hope she doesn't react negatively to that as well. Maybe give her a bit to recover but not to long for the flukes to grow.

Seasidenj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime I do a freshwater dip I've had the same experience but only for about 2 hours afterwards

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She’s in copper right now and my plan was to do 30 days which would keep her in the copper through til Jan 12th. I’m not sure what to do I don’t want to pause the copper but I also don’t want to treat with GC and copper at the same time. If I did @HotRocks method and had her in copper for 14days that would be to the 27th but getting another qt set up in my tiny apartment is a non starter. @HotRocks what would you advise? Pull the copper and treat with GC or finish 30 days of copper up?

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the 14 day method. Put the fish in a bucket with old qt water. Then break down the old tank and set up the new one. Have new water made and heated so it's just a quick swap. The fish will be in the bucket 10 mins if your quick. It olny takes up storage room. It's good to have two tanks for qting anyways.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do a GC dip and wait until after copper to treat. Works well when @HotRocks and I do this. :)

Just make sure after 14 days its a new sterile QT you transfer to

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t day the 14day method because I can’t do a second tank :(

@4FordFamily - what’s is a GC dip? Would that be a good way to buy time if I do 30 days in copper?

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the 14 day method. Put the fish in a bucket with old qt water. Then break down the old tank and set up the new one. Have new water made and heated so it's just a quick swap. The fish will be in the bucket 10 mins if your quick. It olny takes up storage room. It's good to have two tanks for qting anyways.

I see what you’re saying - something to consider for sure (I’ll have to talk to my husband)

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like they said. It's a second complete set up. New heater, circ pump, PVC, lid, everything. It is alot to store.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t day the 14day method because I can’t do a second tank :(

@4FordFamily - what’s is a GC dip? Would that be a good way to buy time if I do 30 days in copper?
General cure dip or two over a week period will do good work until you can treat as directed on the bottle. I believe GC has dipping instructions, if not Prazi does I’ve done that a lot:).

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do a GC dip and wait until after copper to treat. Works well when @HotRocks and I do this. :)

Just make sure after 14 days its a new sterile QT you transfer to
Like they said. It's a second complete set up. New heater, circ pump, PVC, lid, everything. It is alot to store.

Why does the second tank need to be sterile? Doesn't carbon remove copper? I tried looking it up and came across a post that says that a film can develop over everything and makes the other medicines less effective? Is this the reason? Sorry just trying to understand the QT process more as I will be doing this soon.

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way here’s a pic of her when I came home tonight - looking much better!

Honestly it is so kind how everyone on this thread is pulling together for this little wrasse :) thank you all I appreciate it!

image.jpg

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does the second tank need to be sterile? Doesn't carbon remove copper? I tried looking it up and came across a post that says that a film can develop over everything and makes the other medicines less effective? Is this the reason? Sorry just trying to understand the QT process more as I will be doing this soon.
Because of the life cycle of ich. Ich can only remain on a fish for 10-14 days but in the tank for up to 30. So a transfer to a sterile QT cuts the timeframe in copper in a bit less than half :)

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of the life cycle of ich. Ich can only remain on a fish for 10-14 days but in the tank for up to 30. So a transfer to a sterile QT cuts the timeframe in copper in a bit less than half :)

Ok that makes sense. Thank you for the info! So at a high level for general preventive quarantine I can follow Hotrocks steps but for the copper part do a full 30 days, then run carbon to remove the copper and then do the two rounds of GC?

That way I don't get kicked to the curb by the family for having too many tanks lol. We are at 3 (including 1QT) and no fish yet haha.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that makes sense. Thank you for the info! So at a high level for general preventive quarantine I can follow Hotrocks steps but for the copper part do a full 30 days, then run carbon to remove the copper and then do the two rounds of GC?

That way I don't get kicked to the curb by the family for having too many tanks lol. We are at 3 (including 1QT) and no fish yet haha.

You have to keep the fish in therapeutic copper for a full 30 days, unless you have a completely separate sterile QT to transfer them to from the copper tank.

Copper only kills free swimming stages of ich and velvet. Encysted tomonts can be releasing free swimmers for up to 30 days and then they explode upon release in therapeutic copper or CP. The fish are clean in 7-10 days. So if you transfer at day 14 you leave the encysted tomonts behind in copper tank while moving your clean fish to the sterile tank.

If you reduce copper in the same tank prior to 30 days you risk reinfecting the fish if there are tomonts releasing free swimmers. Make sense?

2 tanks you can transfer at 14 days
1 tank therapeutic copper for 30 full days before doing WCs and removing copper.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to keep the fish in therapeutic copper for a full 30 days, unless you have a completely separate sterile QT to transfer them to from the copper tank.

Copper only kills free swimming stages of ich and velvet. Encysted tomonts can be releasing free swimmers for up to 30 days and then they explode upon release in therapeutic copper or CP. The fish are clean in 7-10 days. So if you transfer at day 14 you leave the encysted tomonts behind in copper tank while moving your clean fish to the sterile tank.

If you reduce copper in the same tank prior to 30 days you risk reinfecting the fish if there are tomonts releasing free swimmers. Make sense?

2 tanks you can transfer at 14 days
1 tank therapeutic copper for 30 full days before doing WCs and removing copper.

Ok, yes I THINK I understand. I'll be going to 30 day copper amount unless I convince myself to get another tank and filter before then. Biggest issue is space and kid proofing whatever space we pick. Think that little girl that shakes the fish bags in the movie nemo X's two. Oh and a dog and a cat that are probably just as bad lol.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, yes I THINK I understand. I'll be going to 30 day copper amount unless I convince myself to get another tank and filter before then. Biggest issue is space and kid proofing whatever space we pick. Think that little girl that shakes the fish bags in the movie nemo X's two. Oh and a dog and a cat that are probably just as bad lol.
Lol, I have 2 and 4 year old daughters. I get it. My kids aren't allowed in the unfinished portion of the basement (fish room) unless they are with Mom or Dad.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I have 2 and 4 year old daughters. I get it. My kids aren't allowed in the unfinished portion of the basement (fish room) unless they are with Mom or Dad.

Well we don't have a basement and our house is only 880 square feet (rental home). I hope to get our own house soon so hopefully we will have much more room. Currently my office (I work from home at minimum 1 day a week) is in the dining room. The main tank is in our living room, the QT is in my daughters room which she doesn't use lol. It would be nice to get her sleeping in her crib though, and my son has a 15 gallon in his room. There is already a small crack on his tank that we have had 2 weeks. Honestly not sure if it was me or him but I have a replacement tank on the way already. I stopped counting how much money I've spent. Probably at least $2500 so far and no fish and no automation or proper lighting yet.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we don't have a basement and our house is only 880 square feet (rental home). I hope to get our own house soon so hopefully we will have much more room. Currently my office (I work from home at minimum 1 day a week) is in the dining room. The main tank is in our living room, the QT is in my daughters room which she doesn't use lol. It would be nice to get her sleeping in her crib though, and my son has a 15 gallon in his room. There is already a small crack on his tank that we have had 2 weeks. Honestly not sure if it was me or him but I have a replacement tank on the way already. I stopped counting how much money I've spent. Probably at least $2500 so far and no fish and no automation or proper lighting yet.
Lol it doesn't get any cheaper. Tanks start getting bigger, fish get more expensive. Ask @4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah that sounds about right. You'll fill up any amount of square foot you have... trust me. Off-hand comment I would not leave a tank leaking full of water. Once they start they can suddenly burst and often do. I'd get a rubbermaid tub and move the equipment and everything over until you get the new tank. 15 gallons can tear up your rental pretty quickly...

Lol it doesn't get any cheaper. Tanks start getting bigger, fish get more expensive. Ask @4FordFamily

Yeah... this is 100% true. Although @HotRocks and I have it worse than most (we obsess about everything and are incapable of moderation -- part of why we get along so well and why we spend each other's money so well)

If you want to see how it can worsen, see my 500 gal build thread in my signature. Some have it worse than me, I see tanks that dwarf mine! My 180 and 34 (Reefer 170) are still chugging, too!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back