Garage cooling/insulation?

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really hoping to use my garage to house a bunch of tanks for various projects/experiments. However, I know the heat will be an issue. Mid summer, it reaches 85/86 in there.
Does anyone have any experience with garage door insulation? Im curious how much that would drop the ambient temps.
I know I could get a portable ac unit, but I'd rather cool passively for obviou$ reasons.

Last edited:

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We installed a thermostatically controlled attic fan, ran the lights on a reverse cycle, had fans controlled by Apex controllers blowing on the tanks and still had problems with heat not to mention humidity.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I only keep my RODI in the garage. It's better to buy a garage door that's already insulated, preferably 2" thick. Normally has a better "R" value. Clopay has the best doors IMO. That only goes so far if the windows arent great or there isn't sufficient insulation in the attic, ect. It might be more cost efficient to run a chiller on the tanks though.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. I was trying to avoid chillers as well. I only need 5 degrees, not sure if that can be expected from garage door insulation alone.

Might have to get a portable a.c.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't think you'll get 5 degrees if you insulate your door. Plus you need to factor in the cost of new springs. I know it doesn't seem like a lot of weight but it will throw off the balance of the door enough to cause other issues. I think it would be best to get a portable a.c. unit to fit your needs honestly. The a.c. unit will help with humidity as well.

Back