GBT Anemone HELP!!!

Pricey89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I’ve been really concerned about my GBT anemone. Looked really healthy when I got it on 6th August. He moved on day 1 underneath a ledge which I understood was normal.

He hasn’t moved since and started looking more and more unhealthy... really shrivelling up. I was unable to feed it because it’s mouth was horizontal or upside down and tentacles weren’t extending enough to catch food.

It looked so bad yesterday, some tentacles seemed to be breaking off and it was deflated so much it was tiny. I took the decision to move it and was able to give it a little food (mysis).

It also appears to now have 3 mouths... maybe it’s preparing to split?

I’ve attached 3 photos;
- 1 when I first got him
- 2 this morning looking terrible
- 3 & 4 now - looking much better than this morning and showing the 3 mouths but still nothing compared to how it was 3 weeks ago.

Just want your thoughts on whether or not it’s dying and anything I can do to bring it back to health?

Thanks
Matt

6745515B-DB2C-48CB-9EF5-63B5C9ED3EAE.jpeg 22AB425C-9D45-4833-B549-5B99297D0FA2.jpeg 3E54D72B-0F51-4F17-8590-72E28DDA0FE7.jpeg 30F854B0-2884-43CB-BA7D-5382D8D3E7C3.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still only see one mouth. It does look better (more inflated). Has it colored back up at all? And I hate to ask, but how long has the tank been running and what light do you use?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability. Outside of ciprofloxacin treatment, which I wouldn't recommend here, there really isn't a whole lot of intervention that can be done for anemone's other than optimal conditions and stability. I would not recommend feeding when it's mouth is gaping.

OP
OP
Pricey89

Pricey89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still only see one mouth. It does look better (more inflated). Has it colored back up at all? And I hate to ask, but how long has the tank been running and what light do you use?

Sorry I uploaded the wrong pic. I’ve circled the 3 mouths on this one... definitely 3 individual mouths on the nem.

Tank is only 2 months old BUT I did transfer all of my existing LR, ceramic media etc from my old tank and ensured parameters were stable before adding any new livestock (including the Nem). It had been set up 5 weeks and all good when the Nem was added. Not ideal I know (now) and I would’ve waited for a Nem if I understood how fragile they could be at the time.

Params are stable at;

- 1.026 salinity
- 8.7-9 dkh
- 8.3 ph
- 0 ammonia
- 0 nitrite
- 2-5 nitrate
- 0.03 phosphate
- 455 calc
- 1600 mag

Auto dosing seems to be working well, fuge and ATO on the tank.

MatT

0048B797-1E98-41E8-90B5-3106B035E335.jpeg

OP
OP
Pricey89

Pricey89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also as for lights - 3 x ReefLED’s running the Red Sea 23k spectrum

OP
OP
Pricey89

Pricey89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability. Outside of ciprofloxacin treatment, which I wouldn't recommend here, there really isn't a whole lot of intervention that can be done for anemone's other than optimal conditions and stability. I would not recommend feeding when it's mouth is gaping.

Thanks for the input. Mouth seems to have closed over the course of today. I notice though that the Nem seems to be folding in on itself at the line/point where the largest mouth and smaller mouths are... do you think it may be preparing to split?

image.jpg

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not preparing to split. It’s just really stressed out.
Just focus on water chemistry and keeping things stable, I wouldn’t feed it right now or anytime in the next few weeks at all.
With stability and maybe a bit of luck it should turn around.
In the future you should let the tank mature much more before introducing an anemone.

Beat of luck!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back