General marine isopod question.

Atlanta Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm developing a quarantine tank. I've been slowly adding bio media from the main tank to the qt tank. Recently, I've noticed some small critters, larger than copepods, that are populating the qt tank. I've attached a link to a Google photos video of the new isopods. Can anyone tell me if these are safe for the fish? I've read a bunch about parasitic isopods, but I haven't been able to find anything about how to tell the difference between the good and the bad ones. You have to wait until about 1/2 to 2/3 through the video before you get sharp focus.

Also attached

Attachments

• PXL_20240505_230151004.TS.mp4
    60.2 MB

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm developing a quarantine tank. I've been slowly adding bio media from the main tank to the qt tank. Recently, I've noticed some small critters, larger than copepods, that are populating the qt tank. I've attached a link to a Google photos video of the new isopods. Can anyone tell me if these are safe for the fish? I've read a bunch about parasitic isopods, but I haven't been able to find anything about how to tell the difference between the good and the bad ones. You have to wait until about 1/2 to 2/3 through the video before you get sharp focus.

Also attached
you could attach them on the post

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me if these are safe for the fish?
The kind you have are known in the hobby as "Munnid" isopods, but name seems to be incorrect. It's likely they're from the same taxonomic superfamily, Janiroidea, but I can't say for sure at this point.

Anyway, these kinds are safe and could be considered beneficial for fish/a tank.
I haven't been able to find anything about how to tell the difference between the good and the bad ones.
It can be a bit tough depending on the kind of isopods (for example, differentiating between Sphaeromatid and Cirolanid isopods can be quite challenging), but generally speaking, the head (particularly the eyes), the tail, if they can curl into a ball or not, and sometimes the body shape can be used to tell if a pod is parasitic or not.

A more technical or specific breakdown can be accomplished using a good microscope, but it's not generally needed, and it's not easy/quick:

OP
OP
Atlanta Reef

Atlanta Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kind you have are known in the hobby as "Munnid" isopods, but name seems to be incorrect. It's likely they're from the same taxonomic superfamily, Janiroidea, but I can't say for sure at this point.

Anyway, these kinds are safe and could be considered beneficial for fish/a tank.

It can be a bit tough depending on the kind of isopods (for example, differentiating between Sphaeromatid and Cirolanid isopods can be quite challenging), but generally speaking, the head (particularly the eyes), the tail, if they can curl into a ball or not, and sometimes the body shape can be used to tell if a pod is parasitic or not.

A more technical or specific breakdown can be accomplished using a good microscope, but it's not generally needed, and it's not easy/quick:
Thank you! That's what I to wanted.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 160 73.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back