GEO Calcium Reactor CR612X2 Set up help.

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally filled my CO2 tanks yesterday and started using my new calcium reactor. I could not find any specific information on the starting point bubble count or effluent flow rates. So, I started it at ~30 bubbles per minute and 80ml/minute.

I am using my Apex with an extra pH probe to control the solenoid. I have it set for a pH of 6.5-6.8 per the media's instructions.

I let this run over night and this morning the reactor's pH is 6.99. The tank's pH is 8.03 (which is a little low, but par for the course this time of day).

Should I increase the bubble count or reduce the flow rate?

Alternately, if anyone has instructions or a video for this reactor that would be much appreciated.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope you don't do any thing as we speak.
Just test everyday your ALK to see if it maintains the desired level you want to have it set at.
Forget the PH for a moment as that will drop cause you using Co2 and not all the Co2 will be used in the reactor.
What kind of media do you use?

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Carribsea large media and a mag source as well in the first chamber. The second chamber is Carribsea medium media. I adjusted the flow at five down. I checked alk and calcium at nine and it was on point for the tank (8dkh and 450ppm, respectively). I'm going to check it again in the AM, but I think I have the bubble count and flow dialed in now. I just need to keep an eye on the alk usage.

Thanks Diesel!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dialed down the effluent you'll increase the ALK output.
Reason why is cause you keep the Co2 circulation longer in the reactor which gives you more ALK.
I always have my effluent set at 80ml per min and fool around with my bubble count as I have the digital aquariums.com regulator.

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dialed down the effluent you'll increase the ALK output.
Reason why is cause you keep the Co2 circulation longer in the reactor which gives you more ALK.
I always have my effluent set at 80ml per min and fool around with my bubble count as I have the digital aquariums.com regulator.

@Diesel I'll recheck the ALK this evening and see how it is looking. The internal pH of the reactor was not getting below 7dkh when I was running it as first set up which 6.5-6.8dkh is the indicated pH for the media I was using. I didn't see your post before I got home and reduced the flow. I'll definitely keep a careful eye on the ALK so I don't have a huge spike.

Good call on adjusting the bubbles instead of the flow. I wanted to have more of a solve for x kind of equation instead of two variables.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what kind of valve you using but keep an eye out I that drop as it will get cloaked overtime.
The ALK will. It go sky rocking like with a doser, sometimes you need to help it to maintain the ALK by manual dosing till you dialed in.
Remember to test every day and if you don't trust your test results test again.
I used three test kits for ALK to make sure there were no errors on my side to be correct on the set and forget dial in from your reactor.

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what kind of valve you using but keep an eye out I that drop as it will get cloaked overtime.
The ALK will. It go sky rocking like with a doser, sometimes you need to help it to maintain the ALK by manual dosing till you dialed in.
Remember to test every day and if you don't trust your test results test again.
I used three test kits for ALK to make sure there were no errors on my side to be correct on the set and forget dial in from your reactor.

Good call, will test daily until I get a little more comfortable. I have a gate valve plumbed off of my return manifold and another gate valve inline on the output line. I'll keep measuring the output flow to ensure it isn't getting clogged. Great tips, I appreciate your guidance!

Mike220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Diesel
I have GEO calcium reactor 618.
I used carribsea media in the first and second chamber.
I set CO2 - 3 bubbles per second and 20ml per minute. My ALK keep dropped every 2 day. I can't dial for over 3 month. I have to dosing alkalinity every 2 days.
I set PH ON APEX 6.45 ON and 6.6 off.
Please help me out.
Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.6%
Back