Get any part you need, right here!

Where do you stand with 3D printing?

• I am interested in a 3D printing/reefing forum

Votes: 154 59.0%
  • I own a 3D printer

Votes: 79 30.3%
  • I own a 3D printer and will print parts for people (free or fee)

Votes: 47 18.0%
  • I can design 3D parts for people

Votes: 32 12.3%
  • I am interested in having parts made for me

Votes: 67 25.7%
  • I am generally interested in 3D printing

Votes: 116 44.4%

• Total voters

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3D printing is nothing new to the hobby, however, I do not feel it is getting the traction it should. That said, as seen here: https://www.reef2reef.com/search/2447484/?q=3d+printing&o=relevance, there is a
001.jpg
good amount of discussion and ideas. Including, 3d printed live rock, filter sock replacements, mounts, frag carriers, the list goes on! The focus of this posting is to poll the R2R users to get our own 3D Printing forum and a central place to discuss such things.

Information on 3D printing is not in short supply. There are also many companies that offer design and printing services, but there seems to be very little in the way of reefing communities
006.jpg
supporting each other in 3D printing efforts. To jump-start things, I have created a ThingiVerse collection specifically for Reef2Reef (https://www.thingiverse.com/sbash/collections/reef2reef). Please PM me if you want anything added to it. The collection includes a fully printable skimmer, overflow box, pump and airline fittings, and more!

Admittedly, 3D printing is not as developed as I would like, however, if you are new to 3D printing, the process is quite simple. First, the part needs to be measured and designed
002.jpg
in a 3D design program (Sketchup, Solidworks, Autocad, etc). Depending on the part, there could be some meticulous measuring invovled as part of the design process. Next, the design needs to be converted into something the printer can read (we call this 'slicing'). On more advanced printers, this can be done on the printer itself. On more hobby-grade printers there is a pre-processing step to slice the design into machine code which the printer can read (and thusly, print).

This is where community support and discussion comes in. Due to the steps invovled, and potentially the varying expertise required, we can work together to break further
004.jpg
ground with 3D printing and reefing. It will give us a place to request designs and parts, help with printing problems, discussing new ideas and so on. So, take a quick look at the Thingiverse link above and get inspired!

All the pictures are from my own personal printing adventures. The full light mount for a 5.5 gallon tank and ATO float mount are part of my various systems. I also have many other 3D printer parts, including a convenient cup holder (as seen below), various mounts and spacers, other ATO designs, part of my DIY auto feeder, and so on.

003.jpg

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up. My husband and I are just getting into 3D printing. I've got a lot of ideas in mind that I just need to find the time to wok on!

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes please make this happen. It may even be a great main forum under the Equipment discussion if we can combine it with a few other newer technologies 3D Printing, CNC and other reefing related technologies

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, if we got enough people who were interested in 3D printing I am sure we could get a sub forum for it made on here!

You got it, Rev needs to be able to gauge interest!!! Hence the poll!

;)

But we need a lot more traction on this subject to get a subforum!!! Spread the word!

Last edited:

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got it, Rev needs to be able to gauge interest!!! Hence the poll!

;)

But we need a lot more traction on this subject to get a subforum!!! Spread the word!
You get the traction and I will see what Rev thinks!

Fishhands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a 3d printer so could anyone make a top i could put a sceen in with a bow front for a nano cube?

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a 3d printer so could anyone make a top i could put a sceen in with a bow front for a nano cube?

Did you vote for the forum??? ;Bored

lol, I can help you design the part, but unless you are in Ontario, Canada, I doubt it would make sense to print it for you... However, there are two others who claim to have a printer ;)

PM me the details of your tank and I will help you come up with a solution!

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm one of those 3D printer owners. Hubs is in the process of moving it and building an enclosure for it so it's down for a few days. My concern about printing a top would be the dimensions and ensuring it would fit on the print bed. What are the diameters roughly?

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm one of those 3D printer owners. Hubs is in the process of moving it and building an enclosure for it so it's down for a few days. My concern about printing a top would be the dimensions and ensuring it would fit on the print bed. What are the diameters roughly?

Yes, that and there are already simple and cheap tops (framing) to use. So there is really no point in a whole frame. However, clips, stands or bushings for the framing to fit perfectly on the top of the tank. That said, I do not really understand the whole scope of what is being requested. @Fishhands, can you elaborate on your request please?

Pife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that and there are already simple and cheap tops (framing) to use. So there is really no point in a whole frame. However, clips, stands or bushings for the framing to fit perfectly on the top of the tank. That said, I do not really understand the whole scope of what is being requested. @Fishhands, can you elaborate on your request please?
He has a bowfront tank and wants a screen top. I think the issue is the bow front.

Fishhands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lid would be for my small nano cube. It does have a bow front. I've been in touch with octo aquatics. They would make an acrylic lid. The attached pic is from one they've done on a larger cube with the bowfront glass. images (2).jpg

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lid would be for my small nano cube. It does have a bow front. I've been in touch with octo aquatics. They would make an acrylic lid. The attached pic is from one they've done on a larger cube with the bowfront glass. images (2).jpg

Do you have a bigger picture than that? I cannot tell what is what :)

Like I said, there are several approaches to something like this. However, they do require precise measurements. Do you have the specs for the tank with dimensions? If not, you will need to take them yourself. We will need the thickness of the glass (or acrylic), length and width, and centre width (of the bow). Let us start there :)

Zephrant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a buddy that recently started a 3D printing business, and is looking for jobs to print. He's a long time reefer, so is likely to understand what you are looking for if you need printing services.
https://www.treatstock.com/3d-printing-services/another-diy-guys-printing

Depending on the project, I may be able to help design or print prototypes as well. I have a lot of my own projects going on, but if you are working on something I want to do too, I'd like to help.
Drop me a PM if interested.

Also interested in trading 3D design skills for someone to re-make a cover band website for me. If you are a master in Wordpress and need some 3D design or printing done, please contact me. Willing to trade time/materials, as I'd rather 3D design than mess with my failing website yet again.

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a neat 3D printed auto feeder. I designed something similar and have been using it for a couple years now with 1mm pellets. However, I found I had to mount it about 18" above the water so the food will break the surface tension.

If anyone want more particulars on building something like this, just let me know!

Zephrant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very neat. Looks like it would feed very fast, did you have any problem getting it adjusted to feed the amount you wanted?

Any problems with the lid at the end getting hung up? I was thinking that you could put a weight on it to help hold it closed, or even a magnet with an opposite pole magnet on the auger, offset from center. When the auger turns, it would release the door for 3/4 of the rotation, then snap it back closed and hold it when the magnet came around again. Setup you controller to only rotate 360 degree turns, and you'd be set.

My feeders have always gummed up eventually, due to moisture in the air.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 120 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back