OP
C

collosalness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to redsea, everything I searched seems to be the seams failing due to cheap stand, thats why the g2 now has the center brace to support the middle. Also gotta remember they sell a lot more tanks than other brands so of course there is gonna be more failures and lets be honest way more people pipe up when its time to complain vs praising a product. Only hear the bad side because people want to vent.
i figured as much. I'm looking at the 250 which i don't think has center brace, but i think they redesigned their stand materials. I also saw a lot of people blaming the floating edge, but a lot of other manufacturers do that as well, with the most recent one being aquaforest.

bryce.martin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i figured as much. I'm looking at the 250 which i don't think has center brace, but i think they redesigned their stand materials. I also saw a lot of people blaming the floating edge, but a lot of other manufacturers do that as well, with the most recent one being aquaforest.
Yeah I think I heard redseas went from particle board in the G1 (which to me is absurd) to a plywood as well. If yours doesnt have a center brace I would most def place one in there. No way under any circumstances would I run any tank without center support. I dont care what the company says im always gonna lean on more support the better. I also think the floating pane is merely so you can open the doors under the glass since everyone wants this ultra sleek/modern look.

OP
OP
C

collosalness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it depends what you'd like to keep in the tank. The Reef LEDs should be fine for just about everything except higher PAR-demanding SPS and clams.
Do you find that your ap9x is adequate and the orphek is added on for color or does is it necessary?

OP
OP
C

collosalness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not use any red sea equipment other than the ReefMat fleece roller, which is great.

Lighting: Kessil AP9x and Orphek OR3
Skimmer: Reef octopus
Return: Reef Octopus Varios
Flow: 2x vortech mp40, 2x jebao scp70
I’m looking at maybe doing the Ap9x but with option to supplement in future how did you mount your lights?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at maybe doing the Ap9x but with option to supplement in future how did you mount your lights?

I used the kessil mounting arm, and for my Orphek LED bar I used DIY 2x tank-mounted arms off Amazon. Products linked below, as well as a photo of my setup.

Kessil AP9x with mount: https://amzn.to/43h7Jiq
Orphek OR3: https://amzn.to/3VpT6Hw
DIY mounting arm: https://amzn.to/3vecVad

1710457464512.jpeg

OP
OP
C

collosalness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like decision paralysis is something i'm struggling with during the planning phase.

I am having a hard time getting over the reports of red sea issues despite them having a new seam.

Now i'm considering the waterbox frag series, specifically the 125.4.

For lightning i've narrowed it down to 2 x radions or 2 x reefi unos. The plan is sps dominant with areas of LPS, anyone have experience lightning these tanks with either? Since this is a shallower tank I feel like the power of the lights are going to be less of an issue. having shadowing and areas of lower par might actually be a good thing because i can place lps corals there.

For flow, i can't decide between 1 mp40 vs 2 x nero 5s, i feel like most people gravitate towards mp40 and i've heard that people had issues with nero 5 breaking prematurely, but that seems to be more of the earlier models.

Thoughts?

bryce.martin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like decision paralysis is something i'm struggling with during the planning phase.

I am having a hard time getting over the reports of red sea issues despite them having a new seam.

For lightning i've narrowed it down to 2 x radions or 2 x reefi unos. The plan is sps dominant with areas of LPS, anyone have experience lightning these tanks with either? Since this is a shallower tank I feel like the power of the lights are going to be less of an issue. having shadowing and areas of lower par might actually be a good thing because i can place lps corals there.

For flow, i can't decide between 1 mp40 vs 2 x nero 5s, i feel like most people gravitate towards mp40 and i've heard that people had issues with nero 5 breaking prematurely, but that seems to be more of the earlier models.

Thoughts?
I have radion gen 4 pros and they blind the crap out of me. Bought some lights off a guy that had reefi uno and the fact they dont have any side glare was amazing, im waiting a few more months to have him report back on how he likes the reefi uno, so far he likes them but you can see slight disco ball effect with them. Minimal but when you stare at the sand you can see pinks and purples breaking up a little bit.

Ive have nero 5 and loved them, I also have mp40s now....they all work to be honest. Mp40 feel very robust, the neros felt very cheap, both moved water though so dont get hunt up to much on powerheads.

OP
OP
C

collosalness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thoughts?
I have radion gen 4 pros and they blind the crap out of me. Bought some lights off a guy that had reefi uno and the fact they dont have any side glare was amazing, im waiting a few more months to have him report back on how he likes the reefi uno, so far he likes them but you can see slight disco ball effect with them. Minimal but when you stare at the sand you can see pinks and purples breaking up a little bit.

Ive have nero 5 and loved them, I also have mp40s now....they all work to be honest. Mp40 feel very robust, the neros felt very cheap, both moved water though so dont get hunt up to much on powerheads.
I heard the disco ball effect is because of how they space out the diodes. Conflicted about rations because they are easy to control remotely but I hear about the glare issues all the time.

trevor1030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I tried to send you a message on your FS post idk if it will go through since new member. But I’ll take 2

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back