Getting my parameters in order after dino

brian.badge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had amphidinium and prorocentrum which I eventually beat by suspending water changes and dosing silicate (water glass) for an extended period of time. Its been a few months since I beat them and I am working on getting my tank back in order. I am doing 1.5 gallon daily water changes using an apex. I am feeding the same as usual, but have been surprised that my phosphate and nitrate have increased lately instead of going down. I even started to suspect my saltwater, but it tested fine.

Here are my current levels salinity 34.1, alk 8.9 dkh, calcium 485, mg 1455, nitrate 25, phosphate 0.16 and PH 7.84. I run filter socks changed twice a week, 30 gallon sump dedicated to caulerpa and pods and I run a hob reef octopus skimmer.

I suspect some of the phosphate is that I feed some sinking pellets, ocean nutrition, which makes sure my diamond goby doesn't get thin. Otherwise I feed a 1" square of nori and a less than a cube of frozen (rods food and mysis).

I really thought that the water changes would pull my Nitrate and Phosphate down, but so far no luck. Any advice and glaring thing I am missing? My coral looks good and my fish are happy, but I want to get things growing and add coral.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 42.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back