Getting ready to set up tank from FB marketplace

ajscully56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I just got a new tank from FB marketplace…inspected with water full from seller and saw no leaking or any signs of pic attached. After getting it home I noticed on the bottom right a small bubble I think in sealant…should I be worried? TIA

B17464DB-5FB4-44F6-A90B-1CED8E4E28A7.png ACA04133-435D-4527-B029-87E8FE18420D.jpeg

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is empty and dry no harm in sealing the inside up on every joint with a silicone that is reef safe . Because if you don’t you will only kick yourself if it does leak later on when all set up then it’s an even bigger job

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ajscully56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would be very concerned about it, especially with the tank being a Red Sea.
Do you already have the tank setup, or is the picture from the previous owner?
It was working with no leaks when I came and saw it. I didn’t catch this until I got it back home. We emptied it together at sellers house…

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ajscully56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is empty and dry no harm in sealing the inside up on every joint with a silicone that is reef safe . Because if you don’t you will only kick yourself if it does leak later on when all set up then it’s an even bigger job
Don’t I have to remove all the current silicone to do that?

Upvote 0

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not good advice.

Don’t I have to remove all the current silicone to do that?
Yes you would. Putting silicone over the existing seams will do nothing and look bad

Upvote 0

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a Red Sea, I would definitely be concerned but that’s just based on my knowledge of their history with seam breaks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ajscully56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a Red Sea, I would definitely be concerned but that’s just based on my knowledge of their history with seam breaks.
Yea at this point I’m thinking of getting it re-sealed…it was a good deal and everything looked great and he had it filled with water for a while but I’m already stressed about it without water in it yet

Upvote 0

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back