Getting Rid of Vermitid Snails

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any news?

Here's a list of animals suggested in this thread and others about Vermetid snails:
-Emerald crabs
-Bumble bee snails
-Halichoeres wrasses
-Muricid snails
-Morula Uva - snails

Since we've got a lot of Vermetid snails growing and distubing the corals(mostly the frags) in our propagation tanks, I think I will try to order what I can find and try in different tanks.
Please let me know if you have any input or any more suggestions on predators. Thanks!

/ David

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly enough my Vermitids wen't away without my trying to do anything to make it happen. All of my efforts to get rid of these things didn't work but now they are gone. The only thing I can think also correlated to the time they died off was that I added a bunch of peppermint shrimp. The only other thing I can think of is that I raised my magnesium to around 1650ppm to try and combat an algae issue. If I had to guess, this is most likely what got rid of them but it is purely speculation.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any news?

Here's a list of animals suggested in this thread and others about Vermetid snails:
-Emerald crabs
-Bumble bee snails
-Halichoeres wrasses
-Muricid snails
-Morula Uva - snails

Since we've got a lot of Vermetid snails growing and distubing the corals(mostly the frags) in our propagation tanks, I think I will try to order what I can find and try in different tanks.
Please let me know if you have any input or any more suggestions on predators. Thanks!

/ David

I cant say my bumblebee snails ever ate a vermitid. They occasionally predate on other snails, not often but if say i am away 2 days and tank isnt fed, i usually find a dead red band, one I witnessed them actively eating while alive. Very tempted to remove them tbh.

Annecodotal but since maintaining silica levels above 0 i have increased pineapple sponges and 0 new vermitids. But not saying one is necessarily tied to the other this could just as likely be happenstance.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any news?

-Emerald crabs
-Bumble bee snails
-Halichoeres wrasses
-Muricid snails
-Morula Uva - snails

/ David
Going down your list one by one, based on my personal experience:

Emerald Crabs - Had them from time to time for Bubble Algae removal. They ate the bubble algae, but showed no inclination to go for the Vermetids.
Bumble Bee snails - No practical experience with them. I noticed that my LFS is carrying them and was thinking about getting a few, until I found out they have a taste for Astreas.
Halichores Wrasses - Have a Melanuras in my tank for 2 years now. It did polish off the red Planaria I had but has shown no interest in the Vermetids.
Muricid & Morula Uva snails - Have no practical experience with either of them.Would be interested to find out more about theses critters.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly enough my Vermitids wen't away without my trying to do anything to make it happen. All of my efforts to get rid of these things didn't work but now they are gone. The only thing I can think also correlated to the time they died off was that I added a bunch of peppermint shrimp. The only other thing I can think of is that I raised my magnesium to around 1650ppm to try and combat an algae issue. If I had to guess, this is most likely what got rid of them but it is purely speculation.
Lucky you.
I doubt the elevated MG was a factor since I had unintentionally raised my Mag levels to well over 1600 PPM and although it seemed to make my snails and and crabs a bit sluggish it did nothing to my Vermetid population.
Peppermint Shrimp? Maybe I'll give it a try

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back