gfo and carbon in one chamber?

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I decided to purchase a gfo/carbon reactor. I am wondering if I can buy the BRS deluxe version single canister and run both carbon and gfo in the same chamber?

It is a 69 gallon tank and i’m concerned about space for the dual chamber one. Just want to get my nitrates and phosphates down to reasonable levels and have the added benefit of clearer display.

I can accommodate the dual canister model but it will be tight.

Appreciate all of you.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3775.png

Gut this from BRS. Decided GFO not for me and abandoned the idea.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3776.png

Mixed.

Container size based on how much GFO needed plus the mix of carbon required. Caveat being just like with any mixed bed resin. Consumption of one might be premature waste of the other.

curt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would want the gfo to tumble a little bit but definitely not the carbon.

OP
OP
ChrisfromBrick

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure i want to mix. it it appears i can add both to one chamber. maybe just put a sponge in between each media?

OP
OP
ChrisfromBrick

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what’s the consensus? One chamber with both or have a canister for each media? I think that if i have one for each, i could run the risk of stripping all my phosphate and nitrate completely. Maybe one chamber with both will give me a perfect balance?

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you run it separately, you want the gfo to tumble slightly and that may grind the carbon. If you mix it together, the gfo has less of a chance of clumping. I run two chambers, pack the carbon and let the gfo move a little. Use a little gfo to begin with and see what effect it has on the phosphate and adjust from there. Neither gfo or carbon is going to have much of an effect on nitrates, you won’t strip it out. See how the tank does, you won’t have perfect balance by chasing numbers. Do what is best by looking at the tank. Go slow!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I decided to purchase a gfo/carbon reactor. I am wondering if I can buy the BRS deluxe version single canister and run both carbon and gfo in the same chamber?

It is a 69 gallon tank and i’m concerned about space for the dual chamber one. Just want to get my nitrates and phosphates down to reasonable levels and have the added benefit of clearer display.

I can accommodate the dual canister model but it will be tight.

Appreciate all of you.
You have to ask yourself how will you replenish one without wasting the other. GAC could easily last for weeks but GFO only for days.

OP
OP
ChrisfromBrick

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you run it separately, you want the gfo to tumble slightly and that may grind the carbon. If you mix it together, the gfo has less of a chance of clumping. I run two chambers, pack the carbon and let the gfo move a little. Use a little gfo to begin with and see what effect it has on the phosphate and adjust from there. Neither gfo or carbon is going to have much of an effect on nitrates, you won’t strip it out. See how the tank does, you won’t have perfect balance by chasing numbers. Do what is best by looking at the tank. Go slow!
thanks- what a great answer!

curt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the SpectraPure dual reactor you’ll see that the water flows down on the carbon and up on the gfo. That way you can control the flow to each chamber.

Back