Gfo issue

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested my po4 today, came back .21 on Jann checker , low range, not ultra low.

I had our new rowaphos in two days ago, po4 wasn’t much higher when I swapped it. I then checked the effluent out of the reactor, and it was .21, the same as the tank water . I had used more gfo than called for, think it’s called for 6 tablespoons, I used 8.

so 3-4 hours ago, i put in new gfo, different brand, aqua max, used twice as much as they state , tested effluent now (3 hrs after change) ad the effluent is .20

any idea what might cause this? Faulty test kits? That effluent after new should have been dang near 0

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few variables that can influence the effectiveness of a GFO:
- Break in period - some medias take more time to break in than others, PowerPhos for example takes between 4 to 7 days.
- Insufficient flow through the reactor
- Too much media - reactors are built to accommodate a certain amount of media, and it also depends on the granule size. But too much isn't necessarily more effective as it may form tunnels under weight.
- When dealing with high PO4 in the water column we also deal with a higher rate of PO4 leaching from the rocks and sand. These are hidden variables masking the effectiveness of the media.

As someone who dealt with a sudden rise in PO4 due to LR finally reaching their full absorption capacity myself, I recommend to consider using Lanthanum, as you will go through a lot of media otherwise.
You do need to be carful when using Lanthanum though, because it's harmful to Tangs and Wrasses, but it can be avoided if used with care.

To use Lanthanum safely take a an IV bag filled with diluted Lanthanum (half instructed dosage) and tune it to drip 1 drop per 5-10 seconds into a 5 or 10 micron sock with running water.

Good Luck.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 118 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 94 34.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back