• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Giant WWC Finger Leather perfect symmetry! 24"

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220716_200954.jpg

About 2.5 years ago a friend asked for my help moving an unbelievable 120g Red Sea reefer. The original owner had purchased all his corals from WWC and TSA. Fully stocked mixed reef. As a thank you for the help I was given a big beautiful Finger leather, giant toadstool, and a male Blonde Naso tang that now has 2-3" streamers.
Fast forward, and the finger leather has been front and center in a 150g with Gyres on each end. It has grown so perfectly symmetrical and is neon blue/green with pick polyps. My Metal Halides don't do the color quite the justice it deserves. It has just about outgrown the tank, but more importantly, creates too much shade and requires far to much Carbon to keep Acros healthy and happy.
The swaying and movement it it brings to the tank is unreal and relaxing. I don't want it to go, but my giant grow out tanks and only 14" deep.
What would this one of a kind beauty be worth? I know its all in the eye of the beholder, but any ideas welcome. TIA!
Charlie
20220710_145929.jpg

Last edited:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
As someone who likes leather corals I would be interested in this as long as the rock it's attached to were included.
I would pay $200, maybe even $250

OP
OP
T

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would definitely come attached with the rock or actually 2 softball size rocks if shipped as is. The dilemma lies in the physics of moving this guy. It's huge, going to require a good deal of water along with it as well to ship. It's stalk is at least 6" in diameter. The shipping would have to be unbelievable I assume. Haven't looked into how people ship giant pieces like this.
I could frag (for lack of better word) it where it tables and splits into 5 or 6 large arms.
Each arm would still be 16" or more tall and still have 2-3 branches each.
Should I sell 5 or 6 large examples? Much easier to ship. No large sharp rocks to tear through even multiple bags.
But it's grown so evenly due to the perfect left-right switching of the gyres. I would also have a big stump left and feel horrible for slicing and dicing this perfect specimen.
Have many people seen a leather grow like this? Everything large piece I have ever seen just looks like a large mass of skin.

Open to ideas....tanks for the current offer of $250. Just putting feelers out because tank is going all acro and euphillia.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It would definitely come attached with the rock or actually 2 softball size rocks if shipped as is. The dilemma lies in the physics of moving this guy. It's huge, going to require a good deal of water along with it as well to ship. It's stalk is at least 6" in diameter. The shipping would have to be unbelievable I assume. Haven't looked into how people ship giant pieces like this.
I could frag (for lack of better word) it where it tables and splits into 5 or 6 large arms.
Each arm would still be 16" or more tall and still have 2-3 branches each.
Should I sell 5 or 6 large examples? Much easier to ship. No large sharp rocks to tear through even multiple bags.
But it's grown so evenly due to the perfect left-right switching of the gyres. I would also have a big stump left and feel horrible for slicing and dicing this perfect specimen.
Have many people seen a leather grow like this? Everything large piece I have ever seen just looks like a large mass of skin.

Open to ideas....tanks for the current offer of $250. Just putting feelers out because tank is going all acro and euphillia.
My figure of $200-$250 was more of a general figure. Not really an offer as I realize that the distance between us would probably add $100 or more for shipping at least a 5 gallon bucket of coral, rock and water. Then there would probably be damage from shipping that guy with rock attached.
My 240 gallon tank is currently full and I would have to completely tear down one end to fit that monster in it.
I would consider it, if we lived close enough for a pickup in person.
As far as removing the rock from the base, I would not buy it. I know leather corals can re-attach, but I have seen over time many huge pieces that withered and died because they were cut or ripped off the rock they grew up on.
I would check local for reef clubs in your area, fish stores, and even facebook groups to see if you can sell it locally.

OP
OP
T

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not remove it from the rock either! And if I were to segment it, the limbs would need time to heal because yes, I have taken smaller pieces, and only about half made it. It would have to be the right person, at the right time locally. It probably be worth $1000 at WWC, but that matters none, lol. Thanks for the replies!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would not remove it from the rock either! And if I were to segment it, the limbs would need time to heal because yes, I have taken smaller pieces, and only about half made it. It would have to be the right person, at the right time locally. It probably be worth $1000 at WWC, but that matters none, lol. Thanks for the replies!
I'm glad to hear you won't remove it from the rock. It is a awesome looking piece, and as I said if we were close, ( 2+ hours each way) I would figure a way to finance the buy one way or another.
I hope the right person does step up for you.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back