Gig treatment

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear your about your loss. I have two mertensii on order and hope they don't have the same outcome.

Hoping the blue pulls through.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to be the nay-sayer bro , but 250mg/10 gals regimen that most on here are using might be the way to go next time...
FWIW... I do things a little unconventional also , but it works: I use a 20 gal tank..treat with 500mg day 1 , then do a 50% water change add back 10 gals and 250mg cipro every day for 10 days...never lost 1 in treatment...and had a couple sick ones that were deflating/inflating fully recover using this regimen....

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Sorry to be the nay-sayer bro , but 250mg/10 gals regimen that most on here are using might be the way to go next time...
FWIW... I do things a little unconventional also , but it works: I use a 20 gal tank..treat with 500mg day 1 , then do a 50% water change add back 10 gals and 250mg cipro every day for 10 days...never lost 1 in treatment...and had a couple sick ones that were deflating/inflating fully recover using this regimen....
I think that dosimg for a week sometimes is too much especially if a Nem is Inflated and somewhat healthy looking. I have had quite success recently with all the new nems I’ve been getting in by hammering with antibiotics for 2/3 days. 500mg cipro 500 mg sulfamethoxazole and sometimes I’ll use another too if I have it on hand and this seems to kill anything that have on them/in them. after this treatment 100% of the time so far on the gigs I’ve treated they’re nice and inflated and super sticky at this time that lets me know they are ready for QT and to come out of the medicine. It’s also (not)!! great to have the medicine in the tank for 24 hours. 12 hours of dark with medicine and then 12 hours of light to destroy the medicine or you can do a water change. I’ve even had success pulling a healthy Nem through first signs of infection with just 100% water changes every 24 hours. Sorry bit of a run on sentence I’m using my phone and I’m in the car :’) this is also working for me because the shipper I use overseas (RVS fish world) have been doing a great job at packing the nems per my request. This seems to be the make it or break it point. If they’re shipped right they will literally make it 100% of the time if going to the right person.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry that they did not do well. It is hard to say, but a few things may make a different.
IME,
1. Treatment with multiple anemones in the same HT increase failure rate.
2. The anemones are too larger, I would have treated each separate on separate tank and use much larger water volume.
Certainly it is easy for me to say, but doing what I would have done make any different I don't know for sure. I certainly have my treatment failures.

Hope for better luck next time.

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The protocol I used works really well with magniifca. I just think gigantea are super tricky

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that dosimg for a week sometimes is too much especially if a Nem is Inflated and somewhat healthy looking. I have had quite success recently with all the new nems I’ve been getting in by hammering with antibiotics for 2/3 days. 500mg cipro 500 mg sulfamethoxazole and sometimes I’ll use another too if I have it on hand and this seems to kill anything that have on them/in them. after this treatment 100% of the time so far on the gigs I’ve treated they’re nice and inflated and super sticky at this time that lets me know they are ready for QT and to come out of the medicine. It’s also (not)!! great to have the medicine in the tank for 24 hours. 12 hours of dark with medicine and then 12 hours of light to destroy the medicine or you can do a water change. I’ve even had success pulling a healthy Nem through first signs of infection with just 100% water changes every 24 hours. Sorry bit of a run on sentence I’m using my phone and I’m in the car :’) this is also working for me because the shipper I use overseas (RVS fish world) have been doing a great job at packing the nems per my request. This seems to be the make it or break it point. If they’re shipped right they will literally make it 100% of the time if going to the right person.
@Nemguy123 I am a total believer. I think your protocol of shipping in fresh water with no air is truly the key.

Have you tracked how many nems you receive sick when shipping this way?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 10 gallons to 250Mg is a good ratio. Less water and the water can get too polluted too quickly, especially with larger specimens. Too much water and it just becomes a PITA to do water changes. I still opt for 100% water changes, because I feel that this removes as much of the pathogen as possible. Partial water changes inevitably leaves the pathogen in the tank.

One change I've made in process is that I wait a little while after the water change before I add the medication. As Nemguy mentioned, this give the nems a little rest period without any meds. During this period I watch to see if the nem has expelled anything.

One final thing to note -- if the nem is deflated and doesn't quickly inflate, it's usually a death sentence. I think the reason is that it can't absorb the medication if it's not inflated.

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 10 gallons to 250Mg is a good ratio. Less water and the water can get too polluted too quickly, especially with larger specimens. Too much water and it just becomes a PITA to do water changes. I still opt for 100% water changes, because I feel that this removes as much of the pathogen as possible. Partial water changes inevitably leaves the pathogen in the tank.

One change I've made in process is that I wait a little while after the water change before I add the medication. As Nemguy mentioned, this give the nems a little rest period without any meds. During this period I watch to see if the nem has expelled anything.

One final thing to note -- if the nem is deflated and doesn't quickly inflate, it's usually a death sentence. I think the reason is that it can't absorb the medication if it's not inflated.
Yeah I totally agree with the deflation. This worried me most during treatment when the purple was still deflated after dosing with Cipro.

I was wondering if there was any osmosis occuring through the anemone. Thoughts?

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I've had my same protocol with magniifca with 100% success. And they were larger than the gig.

I really think this has something more to do with gigs not responding well. But Im just guessing based on my experience and observation with the ones I've treated so far

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update you all. Both gigs have died.

I do agree with most of everyone's point, but I also want to add that I think who you buy from is very important as well. They way they are handled prior contributed to the infection and how long it's been infected. Which ultimately lowered my success rate.

But lessons learned from me is probably only buying one at a time. 2 in treatment at same time is too much. And gigs are hard to treat! With that said I'm happy with my current nems and will watch them grow rest of this year (if we make it with the world ending and all)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back